ASU pledges more student loan, financial aid transparency

In response to an agreement with the White House Tuesday to be more transparent about college costs, ASU will be working with other universities and university systems to develop a tool that will provide more information about student financial aid options.

The White House meeting in Washington, D.C. sought to address President Barack Obama's higher education agenda that attempts to make college more affordable and increase graduation rates.

Ten private U.S. colleges and university systems were invited to attend the meeting, which was led by Vice President Joe Biden as well as other White House officials.

Christine Wilkinson, ASU senior vice president and secretary, represented the University at the meeting.

Wilkinson said the Obama Administration invited 10 colleges and university systems to discuss developing a "shopping sheet," which would present the cost of education as plainly as possible as well as offer information about student loans, grants, scholarships and work-study programs.

Wilkinson said having a universal form such as the proposed "shopping sheet" will make it easier for students to decide which college to attend.

"College cost is something that is important to (students)," Wilkinson said. "If everybody used the same form, people could compare in that manner."

She said anytime information is presented to students in a more clear, comprehensive way, it will make things easier for them.

"If (students) actually know the cost of education, tuition, books (and) living expenses and what's available and what (each financial aid opportunity) means, that's great," Wilkinson said.

She said the University is very supportive of the Obama Administration's proposals regarding higher education affordability.

Criminal justice sophomore Chris Laube said the University has not offered a penny in financial aid despite his family's financial situation, forcing him to take out student loans.

"Student loans are atrocious," Laube said. "It is ridiculous to be asked to accept debt so that we have a shot of getting into the fields we want to get into after we graduate. We're being bled dry by a system run on bureaucratic foolishness."

Kinesiology sophomore Kate Steinken, who also has had to take out student loans, said more information about financial aid will help students.

"Students can make a more informed decision on the exact type of loan and amount being taken out instead of just borrowing money haphazardly and ending up in a serious financial crises when they graduate," Steinken said.

Reach the reporter at dgrobmei@asu.edu

Follow us on Twitter or like us on FacebookClick here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×