Students prepare for charity road trip

Three ASU students and members of the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity will embark on a summer road trip to build amenities at camps for disabled children.

Build America
Sustainability senior Kevin Quinn and civil engineering senior John Hec, are gearing up to drive across the U.S. on June 18 in an effort to help disabled children by building summer camp amenities through Push America, a charity connected with the Pi Kappa Ph fraternity. (Photo by Shawn Raymundo)

A typical college summer trip may consist of beaches or mountains, but three ASU students are preparing to spend six weeks traveling cross-country to construct summer camp facilities for disabled children.

Civil engineering senior John Heck, sustainability senior Kevin Quinn and aerospace engineering and aeronautics major Jake Petronzio, all members of ASU’s chapter of the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity, will begin their charity road trip with Build America in Colorado Springs on June 20.

Heck said he was looking forward to having the opportunity to help children with disabilities.

“I’ve been really lucky growing up,” he said. “This is a good way to give back to those who haven’t.”

Along with other volunteers from colleges across the country, Heck, Quinn and Petronzio will travel to ten different summer camps, building amenities like handicap-accessible rope bridges, at each one.

The team will spend each morning and most of each afternoon working on construction and then participate in “friendship visits” with the campers.

Heck said he was most looking forward to this part of the trip, which he called the highlight of the campers’ year.

ASU’s chapter has similar visits during the school year with Best Buddies and The Arc of Tempe, two organizations that support individuals with developmental disabilities.

This trip will provide more chances for the fraternity members to associate with the campers, all of whom are disabled mentally or physically.

Push America, the official philanthropy project of Pi Kappa Phi, focuses on supporting those with disabilities. It hosts three charity trips throughout the summer: Build America and two bike trips, Gear Up Florida and Journey of Hope.

Quinn said Build America appealed to him because of his skill with construction.

“I’ve always been handy with tools,” he said.

However, he said, the real draw to the trip was the opportunity to meet with the campers and his fellow travelers.

Reach the reporter at julia.shumway@asu.edu or follow @JMShumway on Twitter.

×