NAU hit by turnovers, injuries in loss to ASU

NAU senior quarterback Cary Grossart hands the ball off to junior running back Zach Bauman during NAU’s 63-6 loss to ASU on Thursday. Both of Lumberjacks’ impact players had suffered game-ending injuries in the first half. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

When a Football Championship Subdivision team has those problems, the chances of winning are slim to none.

The NAU Lumberjacks came into Tempe looking to pull an upset against ASU. A couple plays into the first quarter, it was apparent that NAU (0-1) was in for a long night.

The Lumberjacks’ struggles started up front.

The first ASU (1-0) drive was a nine-play, 73-yard touchdown scoring drive after a nine-yard run by senior running back Cameron Marshall.

The entire drive, the ASU offensive line was reestablishing the line of scrimmage a couple of yards down the field and their quarter backs upright.

When the Lumberjack offense took the field they were able to bust open an 11-yard run on the first play by junior running back Zach Bauman.

That was about as much push the NAU line got the rest of the half.

NAU coach Jerome Souers said his lines had to respond to the challenge of facing a Football Bowl Subdivision front.

“We were inconsistent on both sides of the ball,” Souers said. “There were times when our offensive line did a nice job protecting the quarter back…there were time that we had breakdowns. I believe we are a better defensive line, but this was our first game for all those guys so they got to get better.”

Bauman had trouble getting going when he was in the game. He finished the night with only seven yards. That number is skewed because he left the game with less than 12 minutes left in the second quarter.

Bauman got hit head-to-head on a tackle and did not return to the game because of a head injury.

Besides Bauman, the Lumberjacks were also left without their starting quarterback for most of the game.

After throwing an interception for a touchdown to ASU redshirt senior linebacker Brandon Magee, NAU quarterback Cary Grossart suffered a knee injury.

Different NAU back-ups tried to step up in their absence.

Senior running back Covaughn Deboskie-Johnson got the carries, and sophomore quarterback Chase Cartwright took the snaps.

Deboskie-Johnson finished the night with finished the night with 82 rushing yards. He talked about how he responded when he got the call.

“Football, it’s a violent sport,” Deboskie-Johnson said. “At any given moment someone can get hurt and it’s all about the next person being as ready as a starter.”

Cartwright had the only NAU touchdown of the night when he threw a 20-yard strike to junior wide receiver Nick Cole.

Even though Cartwright did have a touchdown, he contributed the NAU turnover epidemic.

Cartwright had two of the NAU interceptions that resulted in 117 return yards for the Sun Devils.

The Lumberjacks travel to Nevada next week to face their next FBS team, UNLV. After that, they then begin their season in the Big Sky Conference where they will compete against similarly matched teams.

“We’re going to remember this feeling,” senior defensive lineman Jarret Bilbrey said. “I don’t want to lose again, especially not like that.”

Reach the reporter at ehubbard@asu.edu

×