Transfer RB Grice adjusts, opens up to team

Junior running back Marion Grice tracks after a ball during the Sun Devils’ practice Tuesday at Sun Devil Stadium. (Photo by Aaron Lavinsky)

If Marion Grice scores a touchdown he wouldn't say much about it.

In fact, he doesn't say much at all.

The 6-foot, 215-pound junior halfback is in his first year at ASU and he is trying to quietly make an impact.

“I’m quiet,” Grice said. “I pretty much just don’t say nothing. I basically do a lot of listening because people can tell you about themselves just by listening to them.”

When Grice first arrived in Tempe, it made sense that he wore No. 1. Early in fall camp, he was usually standing alone. He would silently go through practice, working to improve.

It took some time, but in the weeks leading up to the Sun Devils’ first game on Thursday, Grice has started to open up.

Redshirt senior running back James Morrison has been in the Sun Devils program for five years. This is his first year playing with Grice.

When asked about Grice, the first thing that Morrison said was that he was a quiet guy.

“(He’s) talking more, joking around, especially with the running back group,” Morrison said. “He grew to be more comfortable around us…just being a regular person now.”

Morrison said that the two have bonded over their passion for shoes, and Grice will open up the most if you get him to talk about Texas — where he is from.

Something coaches cannot stand is a player that talks back. With Grice, they don’t have that problem.

Running backs coach Larry Porter talked about his speed, his versatility and also how he is introversive.

Porter said in practice Grice will ask a question when he has too. He picks up the plays well and responds to coaching. He quietly goes about his work.

Porter said there have been no problems coaching the quiet Grice.

“It hasn’t bothered me at all,” Porter said. “He is who he is. From that stand point we embrace them the way that they are. Our job is to grow them as men, as students and as athletes and that’s kind of what we’ve done with him.”

Porter does not worry about what Grice is doing after practice. He said that if Grice is not with the team, he is usually in his dorm room watching film. Grice is a student of the game and loves watching football.

The running back position at ASU is stacked. Grice has competed to get touches against players like Morrison, senior Cameron Marshall and freshman D.J. Foster.

Right now, Grice falls somewhere in the third or fourth spot in the depth chart.

Coming into to the fall, Grice had to make the difficult transition from playing football at the JUCO level to competing in the FBS.

The running backs have different blocking, routes and hand-off assignments each play. Grice said that is the area he needed to improve in the most, as was getting his assignments down.

To get on the field more he will also have to take advantage of his versatility. Porter said that is one of his greatest skills.

He can take a hand-off in the backfield and run in a low pad level between the tackles. Then on the next play you could see him as a slot receiver catching a pass.

“I can do a little bit of everything,” Grice said. “Pretty much I’m just waiting for my number to be called and I just show what I can do.”

When the Sun Devils take on NAU, there is a good chance that Grice’s number will be called. When Grice gets that chance, he knows it is a huge opportunity to show what he can do so that he can get on the field in future games.

Grice said what he thinks to himself whenever he steps out on to the field is, “Give it a hundred percent, make the best of it and no errors.”

If Grice takes advantage of his opportunity Thursday, he might break off a big run.

Even after a big play, Grice will probably be quietly happy to himself. Hopefully the crowd at Sun Devil Stadium will be a little louder if he makes a big play.

Reach the reporter at ehubbard@asu.edu

×