ASU football players utilizing iPads as preparation tool

In an effort to revolutionize the way players prepare for games, ASU football coach Todd Graham is implementing a new coaching tool — iPads.

Eighty iPads have been issued to players for use as study aids — allowing them to watch and analyze various game film and other materials from practices. The devices are checked out as team property.

“It’s something that we feel is a vital piece of equipment,” Senior Associate Athletic Director of Football Operations Tim Cassidy said. “With the type of tech savvy players we have, they’ll study the film and find something they can exploit against opponents.”

Cassidy added that Graham, who has experience as a high school teacher, is a major proponent of technology and sees an opportunity in the iPads.

“With a tool like this, our guys don’t have to be near or on campus if they want to study film,” Cassidy said. “If they miss a film meeting, then that technology is there for them to make up for that.

Junior offensive lineman Evan Finkenberg said that studying football film with the iPad on his own time helps him prepare for what types of schemes opposing defenses like to utilize.

“It really is much more convenient to just be sitting at home studying who we are about to play.” Finkenberg said. “Sometimes you can pick up on different things, like which defensive linemen like to cheat inside, and what kinds of blitzes they like to bring.”

Before the arrival of the iPads, players were restricted to watching film in the team’s facilities under the coaches’ discretion.

Freshmen defensive lineman Jaxon Hood has enjoyed the freedom his iPad gives him. He said he reviews game material between classes or while he eats lunch.

“Its good to be able to rewind film and watch plays at your own pace,” Hood said. “You can’t do that when the whole team is watching together.”

Although ASU is one of the first collegiate teams to incorporate the use of tablets into their game preparation, the technology trend in sports is vastly growing.

Stanford, Washington, Ohio State, Syracuse and Duke have also integrated the use iPads into their daily programs. Many players in the NFL review playbooks through their iPads.

Ultimately, it allows players to focus on other things outside of team activities as student-athletes.

“I have never had an iPad before and it definitely helps me stay up on film review,” Foster said. “With classes starting up, there are times when we can’t always make it back to the football facility to watch film when we want to.”

Reach the reporter at mjgordo1@asu.edu

×