Eubank’s athleticism, experience continuing to grow

Redshirt freshman quarterback Michael Eubank dives over the pylon for a touchdown during the Sun Devils’ 45-14 win over Illinois on Sept. 8. (Photo by Kyle Newman)

ASU redshirt freshman quarterback Michael Eubank is not one to shy away from contact. However, the 6-foot-6, 233-pound California native did not develop his physical playing style while behind center, but rather at linebacker.

“I started out as an offensive guard and a linebacker,” Eubank said. “I didn’t like offensive guard too well. I like being able to run around and hit people.”

Despite Eubank’s wishes, his football career did not start until he was 8-years-old. He wanted to begin earlier, but his mom was scared and wanted him to grow into his tall and lanky body.

It is natural for a mother to want to keep her son safe and away from a contact sport, but she was not the only one who noticed the extreme lankiness in Eubank’s body.

“He probably got run over a lot,” redshirt senior linebacker Brandon Magee jokingly said. “He was kind of awkward. He was a tall goofy kid.”

Magee and Eubank went to Centennial High School in Corona, Calif. together — along with redshirt junior defensive tackle Will Sutton — but Magee and his older brother Angelo used to babysit Eubank.

Despite his awkwardness — Eubank’s high school coach Matt Logan referred to him as a “baby giraffe” — his athleticism was apparent from an early age.

“Michael was a heck of an athlete as a young kid,” Magee said. “He always worked hard and he wasn’t always fast like he is now. He’s always wanted to be great, so that’s what makes him good.”

After a few years of youth football, Eubank began to grow into his body and made the switch to quarterback when he entered high school.

Eubank lacked experience at the position, but was athletically gifted and able to thrive. However, Eubank’s slow passing delivery had a noticeable dip. It was clearly an area he needed to improve on if he was going to play Division I football.

“I talked to countless college coaches, when I was in high school, about my delivery and they told me it needed to change,” Eubank said. “It’s gotten a lot better and it continues to improve.”

Logan watched Eubank evolve from a “baby giraffe” to the No. 8 dual-threat quarterback prospect in California, according to Rivals.com.

“He just really worked so hard to improve his game,” Logan said. “Running and lifting and everything he did, he had a tremendous work ethic.”

Sutton also noticed the athletic transformation, but sarcastically notes there is still room to go.

“He’s more athletic and getting stronger and faster,” Sutton said. “(But) he needs to get his calves bigger.”

When it came time for Eubank to make his college choice, ASU seemed like the easy option because of the established Corona-to-Tempe pipeline. The Magees (Brandon and Angelo), Sutton, Vontaze Burfict and Shelly Lyons attended Centennial High School and were already Sun Devils. They provided Eubank with a sense of comfort and familiarity.

“When I was in high school, my senior year, every Saturday, we would all meet up at someone’s house and watch ASU,” Eubank said. “We would watch every single guy (from Centennial).”

However, Eubank feels even if those players didn’t pave the way for him to come to Tempe, he’d still be donning the maroon and gold on Saturdays.

“My first college football game that I ever watched was an ASU football game and I told my mom that I wanted to play for Arizona State,” Eubank said. “When I got the (scholarship) offer, I jumped on it.”

The adjustment from high school to college football is tough for most players, but the quarterback position is especially difficult because both offenses and defenses are more complex in the collegiate game.

To ease the transition, and because ASU already had several quarterbacks on the roster, Eubank spent his freshman season with the scout team.

Quite a change for someone a year removed from being named the Southern California Offensive Player of the Year.

Eubank certainly would have loved to see the field, but appreciated his experience he gained in practice.

“It helped me a lot,” Eubank said. “I was going against one of the top defenses in the nation, including my boy Vontaze Burfict. He pushed me and Will (Sutton) pushed me. It definitely kept me working. I didn’t slack off.”

Although his current offensive coordinator Mike Norvell was not with the team last season, he has seen the improvements Eubank has made to his game.

“Everybody kind of forgets that he’s a freshman,” Norvell said. “(He) doesn’t have a ton of game experience, but every time (he’s) out there, he’s getting better and better. In three games we have seen flashes of how good he can be.”

Logan echoes these sentiments and has been impressed every time he’s caught an ASU game on television.

Eubank, who currently splits time with redshirt sophomore Taylor Kelly, has yet to reach his full potential and has arguably the highest ceiling of any of ASU’s quarterbacks. However, the quarterback remains humble and remembers his roots.

“I try to get back to the Inland Empire whenever I can,” Eubank said. “I text (Logan) about my games, he congratulates me when I do well and of course he will tell me when I do (something) wrong.”

Reach the reporter at william.boor@asu.edu

×