ASU Origins Project kicks off Great Debate Series

The ASU Origins Project will kick off its Great Debate series Saturday with Origins of Deception, a symposium on human dishonesty.

Theoretical physicist Lawrence Krauss said in an email that he established the event to explore the world’s origins when he came to ASU in 2008.

“I love arranging these events because they are fascinating for me, personally,” Krauss said, “but more importantly they play a role in provoking public interest in and understanding of the world around us.”

Krauss said the Great Debate events usually fill ASU Gammage with around 3,000 people who question the beginnings and background of the world.

The Origins of Deception, this year’s first Great Debate, will examine why humans try to deceive.

Krauss said knowing why and how humans deceive each other is fascinating and important.

“Anyone who is interested in modern society, from personal questions of relationships, to the behavior of governments, from the nature of advertising to the world of entertainment should be interested in this question,” he said.

Krauss said the Origins Project is spicing up the event with two presentations by celebrated magicians.

“Magic is a wonderful manifestation of deception and its workings at a fundamental neurobiological level,” Krauss said.

Saturday’s event is open to anyone, with student tickets starting at $4.

Two additional Great Debates will be held in February and March.

The February event will explore the origins of climate change and March’s will examine cultural origin stories and see how storytelling is a key part of science.

March’s debate will feature public conversations with writers and actors and the world premiere of a new film.

Physics junior Amanda Wilber has volunteered with the Origins Project since her freshman year.

Wilber said she came to ASU from North Carolina because she heard about the Origins Project.

She said she wanted to come to a university where she could study cosmology and how everything in the world started.

Wilber said a program like the Origins Project is rare.

“It captured my attention,” she said. “(The Origins Project) is an eye-catching project at a university.”

Wilber said after graduation she ultimately aspires to be like Krauss.

Biological sciences sophomore Divyash Chhetri said he went to the Great Debates last year and found them interesting enough that he became president of the Origins Project club this year.

He said the Great Debates provide him the chance to learn about matters in science that really interest him.

“I am very interested in inter-scientific subjects and promoting science education,” he said.

Reach the reporter at hblawren@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @hannah_lawr

×