For the 11th consecutive year, Phoenix Pride put on the glitz, rolled out the red carpet, and threw one of the biggest parties of the year. The Rainbows Festival, an annual event showcasing the diversity of the LGBT community in Phoenix, took place during the weekend on Oct. 6 and 7. The two-day event has been presented, since 2002, by Phoenix Pride, a nonprofit organization that was founded in 1981 with the purpose of promoting and celebrating the significance of the LGBT community in the Phoenix metropolitan area.

Phoenix Pride also actively engages in various civic and charitable events. During the past three years, the organization has contributed more than $100,000 of its proceeds to several local charities, and it is already on track to contribute that same amount this fiscal year. As in previous festivities, this year’s celebration included a vast array of events: pageants, live music performances, informative presentations and a colorful variety of vendors and kiosks.

More than 30,000 attendees enjoyed the weekend long celebration, which drew members of the LGBT community, families, friends and even their pets. Phoenix Pride is already in the planning stages of the next festival, which is slated to take place in April 2013.

A booth displays woven bracelets with the signature rainbow colors in an open declaration of gay pride.
Photo by Cristina Melian

Novice Sister Oliva D. Gays sports colorful eye makeup as part of her costume at the Rainbows Festival.
Photo by Mackenzie McCreary

Festival attendees Novice Sister Suga-Britches, Sister Cookie Cut-her and Novice Sister Gays pose as they await the crowning of the 2012 Mister and Miss Jr. Phoenix Gay Pride.
Photo by Cristina Melian

2010 Miss Phoenix Gay Pride, Diamond Dallas, performs on stage at the One-n-Ten OUTday PHX stage before the crowning of 2012 Mister and Miss Jr. Phoenix Gay Pride.
Photo by Mackenzie McCreary

2012 Miss Phoenix Gay Pride, Grecia Montes D’Occa, performs on stage at the One-n-Ten OUTday PHX stage before the crowning of 2012 Mister and Miss Jr. Phoenix Gay Pride.
Photo by Cristina Melian

Justin P. Case, crowned 2012 Mister Junior Phoenix Gay Pride, accepts tips and congratulations from audience members during his acceptance performance.
Photo by Mackenzie McCreary

A booth sells rainbow necklaces coveting the Gay Pride ribbon as a proud declaration of acceptance.
Photo by Mackenzie McCreary

Reach the writers and photographers at Cristina.Melian@asu.edu and Mackenzie.McCreary@asu.edu

×