State Fair human anatomy exhibit cultivates curiosity

Those headed to the Arizona State Fair this year might be paying the admission fees for several reasons: Some come for the rides, some come for the food and some even come for the people-watching. This year, there is another reason to visit the State Fair. The “Our Body: The Universe Within” exhibition takes an interesting look at the inner workings of the human body. Although it may not be an activity for those who are squeamish, it’s a fun way to learn more about what goes on inside us human beings.

Upon reaching the entrance to the exhibition, the first few specimens are visible. The first appears to be a man pulling back a bow and arrow as if ready to fire. At the entrance, people crane their heads to see what lies before them. The exhibition is held in what feels like a warehouse.

The exhibit is broken up into the different systems of the body, in doing so visitors are taken on a trip through all of the different processes. Posters with interesting facts or health tips that relate to each body part hang on the wall. The atmosphere is one that spurs a person’s curiosity for the human anatomy.

The focus of the show is the full cadavers. They are placed in different positions and preserved in different ways in order to highlight different body functions, whether they are muscle, respiratory or nervous systems. Visitor’s eyes are glued to each cadaver as they wind their way through the different rooms. Each of the specimens is encapsulated in a glass case that has organs, joints, muscles and many other things that physically display the processes that human bodies go through every day.

Finally, visitors reach the two full-body exhibits where the specimens have been sliced in order for the viewers to better understand where various organs and muscles are located in the body. This is one of the most interesting parts of the tour and a great conclusion to the exhibit.

Overall, the exhibit is enlightening. However, it is not as well done as some other human anatomy exhibits that have been in Phoenix, such as the Bodyworlds at the Arizona Science Center. For such a small admission fee though, it is definitely worth the money.

Fair attendees that need a break from the rides and the noise might want to stop at the “Our Body: The Universe Within” exhibit for a unique learning experience. The exhibit is running until Nov. 4, and viewers will leave with a greater curiosity about the internal workings of the human body.

Reach the reporter at mmgilber@asu.edu

×