The Campus Closet: Winter, boots and styling

Footwear, which seems to be boots in the Winter season, usually sets the tone for later trends. Photo by Gabrielle Nelson.

So I’ve shown you how to style sweaters and tie scarves, but how about my favorite piece of a winter time outfit: boots.

Every year around this time I take myself shopping all in search for a perfect pair of boots I can rock all winter long. Come winter I live in boots, day in and day out. They are a staple part of any cold weather wardrobe; and with so many styles to chose from getting creative with them can be fun.

In this seasons fashion forecast boots range from ankle to knee-high, flat to high heeled. Here is a style guide with five different pairs of boots I have put together. Get inspired and creative with your different looks this winter, and do yourself a favor put the Ugg boots away!

1. Ankle Boots

I call ankle boots the free-spirited boots. They are practical, adorable, and go with almost any day time outfit. Wear them with a maxi skirt, jeans, leggings or a dress and tights. Get creative by embellishing them with buckles, studs, fringe or patterned fabric.

2. Over the knee

Over the knee boots can be warm, sexy, and classy all in one. Pair with a patterned skirt and cat eyed sunglasses for some fun. A small heel or no heal can work with these. Find some that lace up or fold over for some edge. A pair of knee high socks underneath will give an adorable touch to these boots.

3. Riding boots

Rock the equestrian look with a pair of riding boots. Make it feminine by pairing them with a floral dress, or edgy with a leather pair of leggings. Tights will be your best friend when wearing riding boots.

4. Combat boots

Military fashion is still a big trend, same with combat boots. Combat boots can give edge to any outfit. Wear them laced up with a dress to make the outfit or feminine, or with a pair of patterned leggings for a funky look.

5. Cowboy inspired boots

Show off your southwest culture by rocking a pair of cowboy inspired boots. Get creative by embellishing them. They always look great with a skirt and cardigan.

Contact me at gmnelson@asu.edu with any story ideas.

×