Sparky's Quill: History Course Spotlight — The Beatles

The Beatles are so popular that in the series Doug there is a mock version called The Beets. My favorite song by The Beets is Killer Tofu. Photo Courtesy Lyric Wiki

Here is Professor Shellans. Photo Courtesy mikeshellans.com Here is Professor Shellans. Photo Courtesy mikeshellans.com

Do you LOVE The Beatles? Well, you have come to the right post! I just took a class about them. It is an interesting class here at ASU called MUS 354: The Beatles, with a professor who knows his stuff.  It lasts half a semester for a full three credits! Wow!

I just finished this course and now I know a lot of cool facts about The Beatles. For example, did you know that when The Beatles jammed with Elvis, Ringo ditched and went to play pool with their manager?

The Beatles were also very stylish. Photo Courtesy The Beatles Wiki The Beatles were also very stylish. Photo Courtesy The Beatles Wiki

The Beatles have a long history and the class takes a chronological approach following the band’s history through album releases, movie releases, and song releases. The professor has audio lectures and co-authored the class textbook. He even has his own website. If you have any interest in The Beatles you will find the course very interesting and a nice break from those classes that strain your brain.

Personally, I did not know too much about The Beatles going into the course, I just enjoyed some of their music. I was delighted to learn about their story and past as well as listen to some good tunes along the way.

The Beatles were a revolutionary rock band during the 1960s and would influence the future of music. Everyone knows who they are and has heard their songs.

The Beatles are so popular that in the series Doug there is a mock version called The Beets. My favorite song by The Beets is Killer Tofu. Photo Courtesy Lyric Wiki The Beatles are so popular that in the series Doug there is a mock version called The Beets. My favorite song by The Beets is Killer Tofu. Photo Courtesy Lyric Wiki

There have been six members of the band including John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Stuart Sutcliffe and Pete Best. The principal members were John, Paul, George, and Ringo. Brian Epstein sometimes referred to as “The Fifth Beatle” can be thanked for broadcasting them to the world and making them famous. He kept the band together and managed their finances during the ‘60s up until his death in 1967. Beatlemania started in the 60s and is still everywhere today. The Beatles are an important part of our culture, world culture, and the history of music. Rock on guys!

If you cannot get enough Beatles from this class, you can even take The Beatles After The Beatles taught by the same professor to gain full Beatles knowledge!

I will leave you with my favorite song by The Beatles.

-Peace

Have any beating questions about The Beatles? Drop us a line at sparkysquill@gmail.com or find us on twitter @sparkysquill.

×