UA, NAU graduate student governments throw support behind Arizona Students' Association

The graduate student governments of NAU and UA both filed resolutions in support of the Arizona Students’ Association on Tuesday night.

ASA filed a lawsuit against the Arizona Board of Regents on Feb. 12, days after regents voted to allow students the choice of opting in rather than being charged the semesterly fee.

ASA, a student organization that works to make higher education more affordable and accessible in Arizona, used some of the funds earned from the fee to support Proposition 204 in 2012, which raised concern about the use of student funds for political agendas.

The lawsuit filed against ABOR is in response to the cancellation of the fee and what it see as a violation of its First Amendment rights.

UA’s Graduate and Professional Student Council released the resolution declaring its support of the lawsuit.

Zachary Brooks, president of GPSC and member of ASA’s board of directors, said ABOR violated ASA’s rights as Americans.

“It makes sense to us that a student group would support education just as doctors and nurses would support a health care initiative,” he said. “Joe Grossman and Mark Naufel voted to support Proposition 204 in June.”

UA’s undergraduate student government ASUA Senate will consider the issue on Wednesday, Brooks said.

NAU’s Graduate Student Government released a resolution in support of ASA, but not in support of the lawsuit.

Jason Kordosky, member of NAU’s Graduate Student Government and board of directors at ASA, said the resolution acknowledges ASA’s role as a student organization and endorses the organization itself.

“So this is not a support of the litigation, it is a support of ASA as an organization and a recognition of the fee passed by student referendum," he said. "GSG has yet to take a stance on the litigation.”

Reach the reporter at jwthrall@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @jtrhall1

×