The Video Game Odyssey: Let's Players

Let’s Play videos are without a doubt one of the most popular forms of video that gamers create for other gamers to enjoy. Photo courtesy moddb.com

As much as gamers love playing games, we love watching people playing games. Whether it’s a gaming journalist or commentator providing a sneak peek or gameplay exhibition or a fellow gamer just playing the game and engaging in various shenanigans, people who create video content related to video games form a large part of the gaming community. Besides the many writers and bloggers, they are some of the most vocal and recognizable parts of the gaming community. But even more importantly, they bring together gamers who share their love and enthusiasm for gaming.

On YouTube there are literally hundreds of channels dedicated to people playing games. Gaming series called “Let’s Plays” are the most popular form of video game video content, in which people record their experiences playing different games, offering humorous or witty commentary to keep audiences entertained and engaged. People like Pewdiepie, the Yogscast, The RPGMinx and, more recently, the Gamegrumps, are prime examples of this format.  Some of these “LPers,” as they are sometimes called, stick to particular genres of games while others choose whatever games interest them at the moment. For the YouTubers with large enough followings, they might even ask their audience for suggestions on the next game they cover with some fans even going so far as mailing them games to play.

Let’s Play videos are without a doubt one of the most popular forms of video that gamers create for other gamers to enjoy. Photo courtesy moddb.com Let’s Play videos are without a doubt one of the most popular forms of video that gamers create for other gamers to enjoy. Photo courtesy moddb.com

It’s sometimes surprising to see how much love and admiration these people receive from their fans. While I may not be able to speak for everyone, I feel that as a fellow gamer and regular fan of such content creators I might be able to provide an answer. These people serve to not only to entertain us with their antics, but also serve as continual reminders of that simple, powerful joy we all share when we play video games.

Sometimes it’s a matter of seeing a game in action because we are unable to get our hands on a copy of the game. Other times, we are just curious to see how other people would play. This is especially true for when an RPG or horror game is being played; we are curious to see how similar or different our choices are. Last, but certainly not least, we find people with humor and/or personalities who we enjoy to see in action, people who we feel we relate to or see ourselves hanging out with them and having a good time.

So then fellow gamers, what kinds of gaming videos do you like to watch? Who are your favorite gamers to watch?

What to get in touch and talk gaming? Contact the reporter at preston.sotelo@asu.edu or via Twitter at @p_sotelo

×