Tech Spec: The Dangers of Texting While Dating

Messaging has become one of the simplest ways to contact one another. But it is too simple to convey some of the more important information in a relationship and people need to remember that. Photo by Courtland Jeffrey

Previously, I wrote a blog post on using technology to interact in the dating world, through the use of social apps. I have heard of some personal experiences and while that remains true, there have also been some negative outcomes from today’s technology that can put a damper on the dating game. The biggest issue is that having this instant method to connect and share data has left many with the impression that social norms have changed. What I am writing about is when people use text messaging to convey important information. Their personalities are lost when they go fully digital.

Messaging has become one of the simplest ways to contact one another. But it is too simple to convey some of the more important information in a relationship and people need to remember that. Photo by Courtland Jeffrey Messaging has become one of the simplest ways to contact one another. But it is too simple to convey some of the more important information in a relationship and people need to remember that. Photo by Courtland Jeffrey

Simply saying a couple sentences to someone out loud can easily convey emotional whims, either positive or negative. But having a smartphone in your pocket that allows you to type out messages with a 150–character max, people fall back on this option rather than talking to someone face–to–face. The reasoning behind using it is pretty obvious: it is easier to send off a message that can have negative repercussions than it is to talk to them (it can be quite stressful to break some news to someone that you know can dampen someone’s mood). I will be the first to agree that, yes, it relieves some stress, but relying on different forms of messaging to convey what you need to say is dry and impersonal. This action used to be a huge social faux pas that everyone would avoid, but it is quickly becoming lost among the emoticons.

If you want to convey any information to someone you hold close and you want to avoid this faux pas, just talk to them! Using your voice (literally) will help make everything better. It may seem easier to just shoot a text or catch someone while they are logged on, but this form of communication is not designed to handle all of the emotions that are involved; you can miss those great moments when you decide to share sweet nothings when you write it down. I still stand behind what I said in my previous post about how love can be found through the internet, but I am just clarifying that interacting with someone cannot (yet) be replaced by the web, in my opinion. The point of this post is to just say, stop texting, look up and say what needs to be said. It is ALWAYS the better choice and everyone will feel better about it. Plus, you won’t miss out on some of the best moments because you chose texting over talking.

If you have any questions or comments, email me at cejeffre@asu.edu and follow me on Twitter @Court_Jeffrey. Enjoy!

×