Payson campus land deal free to move forward

The Forest Service approved the sale of land for a satellite campus that's been stalled for months.

Payson

HEADING NORTH: The proposed location for a new ASU campus is in Payson, about 75 miles north of Phoenix. If chosen, the new campus will be near the Gila County Community College.

After months of being stalled, plans for a possible ASU campus in Payson are back on track.

Last week, the U.S. Forest Service approved the sale of 260 acres of land near the town, according to the community's newspaper, The Payson Roundup.

ASU and Payson have been working toward the campus for nearly three years, since the University began experimenting with the idea of smaller, widely distributed campuses. A campus in Lake Havasu City opened last fall to about 70 students.

The Payson deal was halted when concerns arose about the environmental and archaeological aspects of the proposed area, but with the sale of land for a Payson campus approved, the Rim County Educational Alliance will again begin negotiating with ASU.

Reach the managing editor at julia.shumway@asu.edu or follow @JMShumway on Twitter.

×