Police: Man arrested for protecting prostitute, holding her marijuana

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Monday:

• A 22-year-old Mesa man was arrested July 25 near the 1600 block of North Scottsdale Road on suspicion of marijuana possession, drug paraphernalia possession, prostitution and an outstanding Department of Public Safety warrant, according to a police report.

The man was contacted while seated in the passenger seat of a car, from which the driver was seen leaving into a hotel room where she was believed to be going to perform an act of prostitution, according to the report.

When police contacted him, the man was holding a black bag between his legs with marijuana and a glass pipe used to smoke illegal drugs, according to police.

He claimed the bag belonged to the driver of the vehicle, but he knowingly held it for her while she went into the hotel room, according to the report.

The man told police officers that the driver of the vehicle told him she was going into the hotel room for a prostitution deal and said he knew that he was going to get something in return for providing security for her, according to police.

The man, who said the last time he did this for the woman she paid him $20, was booked and held on the prostitution charges and the DPS warrant but was released pending the drug charges, according to the report.

•  

• A 23-year-old Tempe woman was arrested July 22 near the 4400 block of East Baseline Road on suspicion of marijuana possession and an outstanding felony warrant for marijuana possession, according to a police report.

The woman was the passenger in a vehicle that was pulled over for not having brake lights, and police did a warrant check, which confirmed that she had an outstanding warrant, according to the report.

Police noticed marijuana on the seat in which the woman was sitting, as well as marijuana shake on the white jeans she was wearing, according to police.

Police then searched the vehicle and found marijuana in a prescription bottle that had the woman's name on it, according to the report.

The woman admitted that the marijuana belonged to her and told police that she smokes marijuana every day, according to the report.

She was transported to Tempe City Jail where she was booked and released pending the marijuana charge, but she was held to see a judge for the outstanding warrant.

Reports compiled by Nicholas Palomino Mendoza.

Reach the reporter at npmendo@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @NPMendoza

×