Woman arrested after eating food at Safeway

The woman told police she didn't have money to pay for the food she took.

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Monday:

A 30-year-old Mesa woman was arrested July 17 at the 1500 block of East Elliot Road on suspicion of shoplifting, according to a police report.

A Safeway employee contacted police when he saw the woman eat several items from the deli and then leave without paying for the food she ate, police reported.

Safeway security stopped the woman and detained her in the store's break room until police arrived, according to the report.

She told officers that she had no means to pay for the consumed items, according to the report.

Officers transported her to Tempe City Jail, where she was booked and held to see a judge, police reported.

A 20-year-old Tempe man was arrested July 15 on the 100 block of East Sixth Street on suspicion of false reporting to law enforcement, according to a police report.

Officers contacted the man during a security check at a closed church, police reported.

When asked for identification, the man instead gave officers the name and birthday of his 18-year-old brother, according to the report.

A fingerprint check showed that he was lying, and a prior booking photo matched a tattoo on his left arm, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge.

A 25-year-old woman who refused to tell police where she was from was arrested July 12 on the 1100 block of West University Drive on suspicion of criminal trespassing, according to a police report.

The woman walked through the unlocked front door of an apartment and into the bedroom, where she stood for a few seconds, police reported.

She then walked back out, leaving the front door open, and was sitting outside on a set of stairs when police arrived, according to the report.

The apartment's occupant said he had never seen her before and was willing to aid in prosecution, police reported.

The woman was very intoxicated and gave police multiple variations on her name and Social Security number, according to the report. She also threatened her arresting officers, police reported.

She was transported to Tempe City Jail, where she was booked and held to see a judge, according to the report.

Reports compiled by Julia Shumway.

Reach the managing editor at julia.shumway@asu.edu or follow @JMShumway on Twitter.

×