ASU soccer tops Illinois in double overtime thriller

ASU sophomore McKenzie Berryhill jumps to head the ball. ASU won the game 4-3 in the Sun Devil Classic. (Photo by Arianna Grainey)

ASU vs Illinois-1Final ASU Sophomore McKenzie Berryhill jumps to head the ball. ASU won the game 4-3 in the Sun Devil Classic. (Photo by Arianna Grainey)

The fans who stuck around at the Sun Devil Classic certainly got their money’s worth.

After Kansas and Arizona tied in a thriller, the ASU soccer team (3-1) topped Illinois (3-2) in double overtime.

Sophomore forward Cali Farquharson hauled in a pass from senior forward Devin Marshall, and placed the ball in the left corner just outside the goalie’s reach.

ASU coach Kevin Boyd said his team had what it took to win the long game.

“Overtimes are about character and heart and going out and wanting it and willing it,” Boyd said.

The goal came with 3:35 remaining in double overtime, giving ASU a 4-3 win. If neither team scored in the overtime, the game would have ended in a tie.

After blowing a two-goal second half lead, a loss would have been detrimental to ASU’s early-season momentum.

The dynamic duo of Marshall and Farquharson made sure that didn’t happen. Both scored two goals and harassed Illinois defenders all game long.

The night tired both ASU and Illinois, having their game delayed by more than an hour due to thunder in the area.

“I’m pretty exhausted,” Marshall said. “We’ve been here since 4:30 (p.m.) We were very anxious to play. We had a huge fanbase out so I think we showed well for them.”

After the weather delay both teams had to endure a double-overtime tie before they could finally take the field. ASU couldn’t close out Illinois in regulation, and had all 11 starters play at least 95 minutes.

“It’s a little bit of a fiasco, right,” Boyd said. “We waited forever to start and their team was in the same boat.”

When the Sun Devils finally stepped on the field, they were the more ready team. In the first half, ASU outshot Illinois 13-2, and carried a 1-0 lead into the break.

Farquharson scored within the first minute of the second half, making it seven consecutive games dating back to 2012 in which she has scored.

Considering the Illini’s offense struggled in the first half, the Sun Devils may have thought they were in cruise control mode.

“I have always said that 2-0 is the hardest lead to have in soccer,” Marshall said. “As soon as they get one, they have the momentum going, and all they need is another one to tie the game up.”

Seventeen minutes into the second half, Illinois midfielder Vanessa DiBernardo cut the deficit in half scoring on a penalty kick, and sparked new life in the Illini.

Less than four minutes later, Illinois tied the game when forward Jannelle Flaws scored her first of two goals.

“I guess a great complement is to their team to be down like that and tie us up and take us to overtime,” Boyd said.

Farquharson said she thought the goals came on defensive breakdowns, not necessarily the Illini’s offense.

ASU and Illinois traded goals late in the second half and entered overtime deadlocked at three goals apiece.

The Sun Devils thought they won the game in the first overtime when senior midfielder Holland Crook’s shot bounced off the top of the post.

The ball possibly crossed the white line, but Boyd said the official would have to be very sure if he was going to call a goal in a sudden-death format.

Farquharson left no doubt when she sent the ball past Illinois goalie Claire Wheatley in the second overtime.

Reach the reporter at justin.janssen@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @jjanssen11

×