The ASU men's basketball team began practicing for the upcoming 2013 season Monday but had to do so without its proverbial face of the franchise.

Last year's leading scorer and Sporting News' preseason second team All-American, sophomore Jahii Carson, was forced to have a light practice and only participate in ball handling and shooting drills at practice Monday, as he is nursing a level-one stress reaction in his right tibia and shin splints in both legs.

Carson said he only took about three or four days off all summer and that the rest is merely precautionary. He said he is not concerned that the injury will have any lingering effects beyond the next couple of weeks.

"I went so hard this past summer, so it's fine to finally get some rest," he said. "I'm getting some time off and getting my body rejuvenated, so it's good for me."

Coach Herb Sendek said Carson's condition is "a progressive thing" and that he doesn't believe Carson's summer workout had a major effect on what he is going through now. He said Carson has flat feet and that the team is getting out ahead of any possible injury by resting him over the next week or so.

"If we had a game tonight, he could play," Sendek said. "But we're going to play it safe, we're going to get it calmed down, and then he should be fine."

Carson said he can shoot with more consistency, finish better with both hands and even jump higher after his rigorous summer training.

The team was able to practice for several weeks this summer in preparation for its trip to China, and Carson said that the team chemistry will be the biggest difference between this year's team and last year's team.

"We've bonded more; (there's) more chemistry," he said. "Guys are just trying to get out there and compete with each other and make each other better, but not as far as hating on each other. So I think that is what is going to be the biggest difference for us."

Senior center Jordan Bachynski said Carson will benefit from the "phenomenal shooters" the team has this year. He said he noticed in China that Carson has become a great passer, a skill which he thinks Carson will be able to use more with the team's new offensive weapons.

"Last year (Jahii) just took it to the hoop and that was our offense," Bachynski said. "This year he's able to spray it out. ... Everybody can shoot, everybody can drive, everybody can score and what that is going to do is it's going to free Jahii up."

Marshall's first practice

Senior guard Jermaine Marshall will help the team immensely and immediately with his maturity and basketball smarts, Bachynski said.

Sendek said Marshall, a highly touted transfer from Penn State, has fit in "seamlessly" and that he expects the team to "thrive off (Marshall's) competitive edge and his fearlessness." "He's one of those guys that you look over your shoulder and you're glad he is on your bus," Sendek said. "And I think the guys will rally around that."

Marshall said it felt great to finally start practicing as a team and that his transition hasn't been difficult, because the group has been like a "family" which has "welcomed me with open arms."

"It doesn't really feel that different, besides the weather, really," Marshall said. "I think the scary part is I don't think we even know how good we can be yet, so we're just working toward that every day."

Reach the reporter at npmendo@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @NPMendoza

×