Police: Woman arrested after pulling over to sleep

The woman was driving home to rest after drinking four 22-ounce beers at a bar.

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Wednesday:

• A 41-year-old Phoenix woman was arrested Sunday at East Elliot and South Price roads on suspicion of aggravated driving under the influence, according to a police report.

A passer-by called police after seeing the woman's car pulled over with her asleep at the wheel, police reported.

Members of the Tempe Fire Department were performing a medical check on the woman when officers arrived, according to the report. The firefighters said the woman had fallen asleep in the car, which was in park with the keys in the ignition and running with her air conditioning on, police reported.

The woman told police she had been driving home from a friend's house in Mesa and pulled over because she was tired, according to the report. She had consumed four 22-ounce beers at a bar the previous night, finishing her last one about eight hours before officers contacted her, police reported.

Her designated driver chose to stay in Mesa, but the woman wanted to return to her own house to rest, according to the report.

A records check revealed that the woman had a revoked license, and a breathalyzer test revealed a blood alcohol concentration of .136, police reported.

She was transported to the Tempe City Jail, where she was booked and held to see a judge, according to the report.

• A 27-year-old Phoenix man was arrested Friday on the 60 block of East Fifth Street on suspicion of marijuana and drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.

An officer patrolling a parking lot saw a black vehicle with two people inside and approached it, asking the driver to pull down his window, police reported.

The officer smelled a strong and distinct odor of marijuana and saw a half-burnt marijuana cigarette in the car's ashtray, according to the report.

A loaded 9 mm Taurus handgun was also visible on the car's floorboard, police reported.

A search of the car revealed four plastic baggies that each contained a useable quantity of marijuana inside the car's middle console, according to police.

The man told police that everything in the car belonged to him, according to the report.

He was transported to the Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and released pending charges, police reported.

Reports compiled by Julia Shumway.

Reach the managing editor at julia.shumway@asu.edu or follow @JMShumway on Twitter.

×