Tuition Arizona Board of Regents member Anne Mariucci participates in a board meeting on the Tempe campus at ASU. Michael Crow recently announced that in-state undergraduate students will have a tuition freeze for the 2014-2015 academic year. (Photo by Dominic Valente)

ASU will not increase tuition rates for in-state students during the 2014-15 school year, University President Michael Crow announced Monday.

The tuition freeze will apply to both current students and incoming fall 2014 students, and no decision has been made yet for out-of-state students or for in-state or out-of-state graduate students.

Crow said in a press release that the tuition freeze will make access to an education easier for those willing to put in the time.

"ASU is focused on providing an exceptional education," Crow said. "Our commitment to the people of Arizona is to use innovation and operational efficiency to make access to such an education available to all who are able and willing to do the work."

ABOR Chairman Richard Myers said the announcement shows commitment to the students of ASU.

"ASU has a strong commitment to access and affordability, as evidenced by their announcement to not increase tuition for undergraduate students next year." Myers said. "We look forward to continuing a dialogue with ASU and state policymakers about what this means for both the University and enterprise long-term goals as well as state support for higher education."

For graduate students, the tuition freeze will not be in effect, and no decision has been made on the increase to tuition or fees for these students.

Graduate and Professional Student Association President Megan Fisk said her administration will seek a change in tuition as the conversation continues in the spring with ABOR.

"Of course we want tuition to be low as possible for graduate students, and we would love a zero percent tuition and fee freeze," she said.

ASU will be delivering the tuition freeze proposal to the Arizona Board of Regents in the spring for approval as part of the normal setting of tuition rates for the three state universities. Student reactions to the decision to freeze the tuition at the current rate has been positive. Exercise and wellness freshman Ashley Powell said the tuition freeze is good for her fellow students.

"I'm here on scholarship, but I think it's a good thing." she said. "I work in the scholarships office asking donors for money, and I think it will help to raise more money."

Other students agreed with Powell about the positive impact this will have on them.

Engineering and physical science sophomore Brandon Solarte said he thinks the tuition remaining the same will help a lot next year.

"It's going to make it easier to be able to return," he said.

The reason for the early announcement is to provide Arizona students and their families ample time for planning, according to the press release.

Architectural studies freshman Joshua Greene summed up the tuition freeze with two simple words.

"It's awesome," he said.

Reach the reporter at jshanco2@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @joey_hancock

×