Presidential Profiles: USG Downtown President Frank Smith III works hard in first term

USG Downtown President Frank Smith III spent fall break meeting with ASU leadership to serve the needs of the undergraduate population. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez)

USG Downtown President Frank Smith III spent fall break meeting with ASU leadership to serve the needs of the undergraduate population. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez) USG Downtown President Frank Smith III spent fall break meeting with ASU leadership to serve the needs of the undergraduate population. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez)

Frank Smith III has made his presence in student politics known since high school, and now as the president of the Undergraduate Student Government Downtown, he said he plans to continue his fight for students' rights.

Smith, a sophomore pursuing a degree in public service and public policy with a concentration on business, spends his time outside of the classroom and study halls combing over policy in his office and working with his dedicated staff to make life for students at the Downtown campus the best it can possibly be.

Through all of the hard work and long hours Smith has put in as a student senator and now president, he said he doesn't regret any of the the decisions he has made and is proud to be serving the students to the best of his ability.

"I saw the impact I made as a senator and wanted to continue that work," Smith said.

When he was a senator, Smith and coworkers were able to help set up 24-hour learning centers at the Downtown campus.

His new position this semester brought new responsibilities, but Smith and his cabinet are on top of the situation with a few ideas to help improve the student experience at the Downtown campus.

"We've allocated money for a bike co-op in Downtown to help students with their bike-related issues, and it is still being implemented, but the money has been allocated," he said. "We're also working on quarterly payments instead of semesterly for student parking payment options and are just waiting on other campus governments."

Vice President of Policy Melber Macainan said he thinks communication between the campuses is key to continuing the work needed for the students' interests.

"Collaborating and learning from each other and working to revamp everything from last year is what we're looking at," he said.

Smith and Macainan said working together with the other campuses is a key collaborative point for USGD, and they want it to continue and be more in-depth in the future.

"We want a lot of communication with other campuses and are trying to establish that communication," Macainan said.

Everything the government at ASU Downtown is trying to accomplish may not be met, but it is a starting place for issues that need to be tackled to better serve the student body, Macainan said.

"We're basically a new government, so we're trying to be the best government we can be," he said.

Vice President Marcus Dudas said he has seen Smith's commitment and dedication to the office he established.

"Frank is doing a wonderful job and is a wonderful leader," he said. "He has been just as effective as all other presidents and is always working. He works his ass off, and I appreciate it."

Dudas said he doesn't know how Smith makes everything work, but somehow he gets it done.

"He is always having a meeting and balancing class and everything, but he is doing a great job," he said.

Smith said his goal during his term as president is to bring all the unique circumstances of each campus to light and to support each students' individual needs.

"We are addressing the unique situations at each campus with the resources we have available," Smith said. "We meet with other campuses USG every week and are always working together."

Through all of the hard work and dedication it takes to be a USG president, Smith said he is taking everything in stride and is honored to be helping his fellow students and working for what they need at the Downtown campus.

“This is the best decision I’ve ever made,” he said. “I’m honored to be in this role to serve my fellow students.”

Reach the reporter at jshanco2@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @joey_hancock

×