Todd Graham sees ASU football players buying into system

Photo by State Press Staff
Photo by State Press Staff

Photo by State Press Staff Todd Graham discussed the challenges of coaching a team of talented players with the season coming to a close. (Photo by State Press Staff)

There’s no doubt: If ASU football beats UCLA Saturday and clinches the Pac-12 South, the Sun Devils’ 2013 season would be considered a successful campaign.

Coach Todd Graham said he isn’t ready to reflect on the season with at least three more games ahead, but he spent most of his weekly press conference on Monday praising his relationship with his players after 10 games.

“We talk about it every single day. The key to our success is one vision, one identity, one heartbeat and how we do everything,” Graham said.

In Graham’s experiences, that doesn’t come easily. He said this was the most challenging team he’s ever coached because of how talented the players are. Yet, Graham said the players are buying into the system more as the season progresses.

Before the season started, the coaches made it a point of emphasis to spend time with players —particularly the team's leadership council — off the field and promoted bonding by sending each other casual text messages. Graham mentioned how events like the team’s trip to Camp Tontozona in August were crucial to team chemistry, and he said he’s a lot more comfortable going into each practice this year.

“I think these guys know that we love them,” he said. “I think the players and the coaches have strong relationships.”

Graham said he believes it’s finally translating onto the field. He said ASU’s offense now matches how its defense plays and that as the season has progressed, the coaches have accommodated its players to find a best fit.

“I’ve never ran the exact defense that we’re running here,” Graham said. “I’m adapting constantly every day to the personnel.”

One example of this was when redshirt senior defensive end Gannon Conway was thriving during ASU’s win against Washington on Oct. 19, prompting Graham to adjust his schemes on the defensive line. The coaches had to open up the line so Conway could continue sacking the quarterback from the 4i-technique.

In his second year at ASU, Graham said he’s trying to accomplish a five-year goal in just two seasons. As Graham is getting accustomed to his team and with the players showing a reciprocal respect, ASU can finally see its visions achieved if the Sun Devils beat the Bruins using their current system.

“These guys believe in the plan and in the formula of what we’re doing. Winning breeds winning and that’s what’s been in place,” Graham said.

Nelson honored

- The Pac-12 announced Monday that redshirt senior defensive back Robert Nelson, Jr. has been named the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week Award. Nelson recorded five tackles and two interceptions — including one that was returned for the game-sealing touchdown — against Oregon State.

Reach the reporter at jnacion@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @Josh_Nacion

×