Tempe Police: Man punches bus stop victim, steals alcohol, flees

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Tuesday:

• A 40-year-old Tempe man was arrested at a bus stop March 18 at East University Drive and South Mill Avenue on suspicion of robbery, according to a police report.

The man approached the victim, punched the victim’s nose and said “taste your blood,” the report said.

The man then stole a bottle of gin that was sitting next to the victim on the bus stop bench, police said.

Police said that as the man fled northbound, the victim flagged down an officer and explained what had just happened.

The arrestee is very well known to police, as he has been contacted by police officers several times, police said.

The man told police he had punched the victim and stolen a bottle of gin, police reported.

The man was arrested and booked into Tempe City Jail, according to the report.

• A 23-year-old Phoenix man was arrested March 23 on the 2000 block of North 38th Place on suspicion of carrying a concealed weapon without a permit, being a fugitive from justice and marijuana and drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.

A bystander on a light rail platform contacted police after the man randomly told the bystander that he had a handgun, the report said.

The bystander told police that the arrestee was acting strange and appeared to be high, police said.

When police arrived, they asked the man if he had any weapons on him, police reported.

The man told police he wasn't carrying a weapon, according to the report.

Police searched the man and found a .40 handgun with a loaded magazine and a small baggie of marijuana, the report said.

A records check revealed the man had a felony warrant with the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, according to the report.

Reports complied by Chelsey Ballarte.

Contact the reporter at Chelsey.ballarte@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @ChelseyBallarte.

×