First Date: Top 7 spots for the perfect college date

First date jitters and unsure of what to do? Take your date on a stroll across the lit bridge at Tempe Town Beach while soaking in the sunset. | Photo by Noemi Gonzalez First date jitters and unsure of what to do? Take your date on a stroll across the lit bridge at Tempe Town Beach while soaking in the sunset. | Photo by Noemi Gonzalez

Full disclosure, we’re not experts on dating nor lead much of a dating life. But we watch lots of movies and are pretty romantic, quirky souls. So here’s our slightly alternative, slightly typical twist on the best spots to have your first date across the Valley.

West

Cowtown Paintball

www.cowtownpaintball.com

10402 W Carefree Hwy

Peoria, Az 85383

Sat – Sun 8 AM to 5 PM

Distance from campus 25.6 miles

Level of Intimacy: 2 of 5

Level of Activity: 5 of 5

Level of Pricy-ness: 3 of 5

Okay, so Cowtown Paintball involves strangers and potential bruising. But what better way to get past the initial awkward moments of dating than by taking the first romantic step in a 10-Things-I-Hate-About-You fashion? Not only can you bring your minds together in strategizing against the world (or against fellow strangers who show up the day of your date), but you can also take some time off and have a picnic at the arena’s staging area (which seats up to 300 people, just saying).

Glendale 9 Drive-In Theater

www.westwinddi.com

5650 N 55th Ave

Glendale, Az 85301

Times vary depending on film

Distance from campus: 7.2 miles

Level of Intimacy: 5 of 5

Level of Activity: 1 of 5

Level of Pricy-ness: 2 of 5

Drive-in theater, need we say more? Snuggle up, eat some homemade (or store bought. I mean, who are we kidding?) snacks and enjoy a much classier version of “going out to the movies.” Plus, it’s a heck of a lot cheaper than going to your regular theater, and you and your date don’t have to consider anyone else (Instagram the night away!).

Downtown

Lucky Strike Phoenix

www.bowlluckystrike.com

50 W. Jefferson St

Phoenix, Az 85003

Mon – Thurs 11 AM to 12 AM

Fri – Sun 11 AM to 2 AM

Distance from campus 0.3 miles

Level of Intimacy: 2 of 5

Level of Activity: 3 of 5

Level of Pricy-ness: 3 of 5

Lucky Strike Bowling offers you and your date about the hippest bowling experience you two might ever have. It tends to pack a crowd, so it may not be the most intimate if that’s what you’re looking for. But bowling itself leaves room for some fun, flirty conversations.

Roosevelt Row District*

www.rooseveltrow.org

7th St and Roosevelt Ave to Central Ave and Roosevelt Ave.

Times vary depending on shops

Distance from campus: 0.6 miles

Level of Intimacy: 5 of 5

Level of Activity: 4 of 5

Level of Pricy-ness: 2 of 5

We couldn’t go without adding this area. There’s something for the hipster, for the artist, for the reader and for the coffee connoisseur. Taking your date to walk the streets of Roosevelt Row is like Knotting Hill waiting to happen. Minus the gorgeous Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts. Sigh. Head over to page 16 to check out the coffee spots in the Roosevelt Row vicinity!

Tempe

The Farm at South Mountain

http://www.thefarmatsouthmountain.com/

106 S 32nd St

Phoenix, Az 85042

Farm Kitchen - Mon - Sun 10 AM to 3 PM

Quissence - Tues - Sat 5 PM to Close

Distance from campus 6. 3 miles

Level of Intimacy: 5 of 5

Level of Activity: 2 of 5

Level of Pricy-ness: 4 of 5

This place is about as romantic as it gets (weddings are hosted here, so you know you're in for a treat!). Enjoy the Arizona skies and the beautiful vegetation that our desert offers while having brunch and getting to know your date at the Farm Kitchen; or perhaps you're feeling a little more romantic, so why not take a nice walk at the farm then go for some dessert at Quissence? We can't promise it'll be Lady-and-the-Tramp perfection, though; that's all you.

Tempe Beach Park

http://www.tempe.gov/

Tempe, AZ 85281

Distance from campus 0.7 miles

Level of Intimacy: 5 of 5

Level of Activity: 2 of 5

Level of Pricy-ness: 1 of 5

We know, we know. This is typical. But it's a classic. Take your date for a walk across the lit bridge on Mill Avenue that just has that wonderful feel of December holidays, and catch the sunset while enjoying a golden cityscape of Phoenix. After a nice walk and sunset gushiness, enjoy a ride on one of the peddle boats while taking in the city lights.

Polytechnic

Riparian Preserve Park*

www.riparianinstitute.org

2757 E Guadalupe Rd

Gilbert, AZ 85234

Distance from campus 7.1 miles

Level of Intimacy: 5 of 5

Level of Activity: 2 of 5

Level of Pricy-ness: 1 of 5

Packing seven ponds and a lake, the Riparian Preserve is the ideal spot for long walks; thus, a perfect place to go to to really get to know your date while enjoying some nature. Head over to page 44 for more details on Riparian Park and other locations to take your date to!

Reach the editor at nagonza1@asu.edu or @noemipossible

×