Tempe Police: Scottsdale Community College football player shoplifts at Sports Authority

The man told police he stole the items so he wouldn't have to ask his mom for money.

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Tuesday:

A 20-year-old Scottsdale man was arrested June 21 on the 5000 block of South Arizona Mills Circle on suspicion of shoplifting and organized retail theft, according to a police report.

The man, a player for the Scottsdale Community College football team, stole clothing items from the Sports Authority in Arizona Mills, according to the report.

He told police he needed the items for football and that he didn't have a job or want to ask his mom for money, police reported.

The man told police he sells stolen gear to his teammates for money, as well as collateral like rides and food, according to the report. He left the store with approximately $670 in merchandise hidden in a backpack, police reported.

He was arrested and transported to the Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, according to the report.

A 29-year-old Scottsdale man was arrested June 21 at West 1st Street and South 48th street on suspicion of criminal trespassing, according to a police report.

The man and his girlfriend were walking southbound on the light rail bridge near the Washington/Center Parkway stop, according to the report. The two tripped a sensor on the bridge, which led security guards to reveal surveillance footage, police reported.

The video showed two individuals walking down the bridge with a flashlight, according to the report. Security guards stopped them when they walked off the bridge, and the man said they'd decided to cross the light rail bridge, because they thought it was a walkway, police reported.

The report notes that the couple would have walked past nine or 10 signs indicating that the light rail bridge is a restricted access area and that no trespassing was allowed.

The man and his girlfriend were transported to Tempe City Jail, where they were booked and released pending charges, according to the report.

A 19-year-old Tempe man was arrested June 19 on the 700 block of West Washington Street on suspicion of aggravated assault and threatening and intimidation, according to a police report.

The man pulled out a knife and pointed it at two light rail security while at a light rail platform, police reported. The officers asked the man for his light rail pass and identification, and he didn't have either on him, according to the report.

When police arrived, the man said, "I pulled a knife on those guys," police reported. He later told officers he had said, "If I catch you slipping, I'll stab you in your f------ fat stomach," according to the report.

The man's girlfriend was with him and was also arrested on suspicion of false reporting to law enforcement, police reported.

Both were transported and booked into the Tempe City Jail.

Reports compiled by Julia Shumway.

Reach the editor-in-chief at julia.shumway@asu.edu or follow @JMShumway on Twitter.

×