How I found that belief is better

I'm touching the surface of a topic I am new with and am promoting an idea that I recently just adopted myself: believing in something larger than yourself.

A week ago, the idea of believing in a truth larger than myself was something that I couldn't wrap my mind around. It wasn't that I didn't believe that there was something larger than myself, but I suppose I was afraid to place my faith in something and then possibly realize I dedicated myself to nothing.

But perhaps it takes falling down to realize that maybe you would stand stronger if you placed your faith in something. By no means am I saying that my belief in God will protect me from all negative energy or prevent headaches and heartbreaks that I may experience, but it will provide me with a sense of strength.

Although many may instantly think of religion when they think of faith, there's more than that. Finding something to devote yourself to doesn't mean you need to experience every religion and doesn't mean you have to force yourself to believe in a God you are unable to connect with.

Believing in a truth or an idea is enough to keep a certain individual grounded. I have met many people who don't share my faith in God, but who place their trust in a truth: everything happens for a reason. And that truth alone gives them the power to defeat every obstacle they approach.

Life Lesson #3: Placing your faith in something larger than yourself keeps your feet grounded.

Reach the columnist at brookesramos@yahoo.com or on Twitter @brookesramos.

×