Police arrest men involved in Tempe shooting

Tempe Police are looking for this man, suspected of being involved in a shooting in Tempe on Thursday afternoon. (Photo courtesy of Tempe Police)

Tempe Police are looking for this man, suspected of being involved in a shooting in Tempe on Thursday afternoon. (Photo courtesy of Tempe Police) Tempe Police are looking for this man,
suspected of being involved in a shooting in
Tempe on Thursday afternoon. (Photo
courtesy of Tempe Police)

UPDATE: The investigation is still active and the man who was shot is still in critical condition, Tempe Assistant Chief of Police Angel Carbajal said at a press conference at Sky Harbor International Airport.

A weapon was found at the scene, and police are not prepared to release information about other weapons yet, Carbajal said.

Aviation Director Danny Murphy said when the incident occurred approximately 35 planes were set to depart, but 25 of those flights were cancelled in wake of the lockdown.

At 6 p.m., Terminal 4 reopened and the airport is returning to normal, Murphy said.

UPDATE:  The suspect has been located and is in police custody, Tempe Police officials reported.

Police are looking for a man involved in a shooting in Tempe on Thursday afternoon.

Tempe Police Department spokesperson Lt. Michael Pooley said a man was shot at the Shell gas station at Broadway and Price roads just before 3 p.m.

Officers found the man in the parking lot of Villatree Rental Community, just north of the gas station, with one gunshot wound. He was immediately transported to the hospital, Pooley said.

The suspects fled the scene in a red passenger vehicle driving west on Broadway Road, Pooley said.

Officers were able to locate the car near Broadway Road and McClintock Drive and pursued the suspects to Terminal Four of Sky Harbor Airport, where they abandoned the car, Pooley said.

The suspects fled on foot, and police officers were able to find two of the three suspects. Officers are still looking for the second suspect, Pooley said.

Passengers flying in and out of Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport Terminal Four faced many delays because of the search for the other second, until the terminal reopened later in the evening.

Reach the news editor at sgslade@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @shelbygslade

Reach the reporter at jshanco2@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @joey_hancock

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×