TED Talks: Providing a better education than four years of college combined

Since 2000, researchers believe that the human attention span has decreased by 4 seconds, making it even shorter than that of a goldfish. Despite the common belief that technology, such as smartphones and social media, is the cause for this decline in attention span, some tend to overlook all the new doors that technology and the Internet have also opened up for us in terms of educational opportunities. One of those ideas is TED Talks. For those of you unfamiliar, TED is a non-profit devoted to spreading ideas, usually in the form of powerful talks that last fewer than 18 minutes.

Despite research indicating students not typically being able to focus for more than 15 – 20 minutes in college lectures, universities still implement classes ranging from 45 minutes to 3 hours long. By the time class is halfway over, students’ notes have gotten less detailed, their eyes have gotten droopier and their overall engagement with the material has vanished.

TED talks, on the other hand, keep it short and sweet. Topics range from personal development, such as Dan Gilbert’s “The surprising science of happiness” to professional development, such as Simon Sinek’s, “How great leaders inspire action.” Graduates, do you ever think to yourself, “Why didn’t they teach me this kind of stuff in college?” That’s what TED Talks do. Watch one TED Talk per day, and it will teach you more about yourself and the world around you than four years of college combined.

Of course, watching TED Talks is not something that’s going to be put on a résumé. But, the topics discussed are something that can be brought up in intellectually stimulating, everyday conversations, as well as future job interviews. Today, students are constantly trying to diversify themselves in order to impress future employers. Graduate schools, law schools, and med schools are all looking for applicants with a broad spectrum of interests and experiences. They want to see applicants who demonstrate knowledge learned outside the classroom.

TED Talks are a short and simple medium for obtaining such knowledge. Think of it like an elective: There’s hundreds to choose from that cater to an individual’s interests, and, to make them even better, they are free. Your college degree is what will get your foot in the door for an interview, but the skills TED Talks teach is what will get you the job.

For instance, Amy Cuddy’s TED Talk, “Your body language shapes who you are” provides fascinating insight into ways that body language can influence other people’s perceptions, as well as our own body chemistry. More often than not, this type of material is not discussed in a college classroom. Even when it is, students have typically already maxed out their attention span for the day and aren’t fully engaged with the material.

TED is a worldwide community of passionate people with an interest in extending their knowledge outside of the classroom. Some people start their day by watching the news; some read books for enjoyment; and some simply hit the snooze button until minutes before class. I challenge you to take some time each day, even if it means using the time that might have been wasted scrolling through your Facebook newsfeed, to watch a short, 18-minute TED Talk. Doing this will improve your everyday conversations, as well as your attention span.

Let’s show those goldfish who is really in charge around here.

Reach the columnist at ralynch3@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @ryguy916

×