ASU students register to vote as deadline looms

USG students representative Rachael Tashbook, right, helps analytics and global logistics junior Amanda Benjamin register to vote. The deadline for registration is Oct. 6, so the USG is encouraging students to sign up soon. (Photo by Tynin Fries)

USG students representative Rachael Tashbook, right, helps analytics and global logistics junior Amanda Benjamin register to vote. The deadline for registration is Oct. 6, so the USG is encouraging students to sign up soon. (Photo by Tynin Fries) USG students representative Rachael Tashbook, right, helps analytics and global logistics junior Amanda Benjamin register to vote. The deadline for registration is Oct. 6, so the USG is encouraging students to sign up soon. (Photo by Tynin Fries)

The deadline for residents to register to vote in the upcoming November general state election is Oct. 6. With the deadline fast approaching, ASU students and organizations are urging others to get out and vote.

The West, Tempe and Downtown campuses saw several organizations, including the College Progressives and College Republicans, signing up new voters online.

Undergraduate Student Government West, like the other organizations at each campus, was busy advocating for students to be involved politically by registering them to vote before the deadline.

The College Progressives, which was tabling with USGW earlier this week to help students register to vote, focuses on political topics. President Ella Burrus said she volunteered for the club and has been involved with politics for long time.

“Since the age of 14, I've been volunteering at the Democratic headquarters," Burrus said. "It's been ingrained in me."

Petrit Gashi, a secondary education major was also there to support the efforts. Gashi said he registered to vote when he got his driver's license.

"Just seeing the impact of the way policies can be influenced by people is why it's so important," Gashi said. "That's why it's important to get people to register to vote and make that impact."

Gashi said that students should get out there and vote and should recognize that their vote really matters.

ASU Junior Secretary of the College Republicans Kaci Cadwell said she helps with many functions of the organization, which include encouraging students to be politically active.

"I vote because I firmly believe in my future," Cadwell said. "I want to change things for the better."

Some students feel the necessity to vote and do so for the major elections. Psychology senior Robbie Griffin said that it's important not just for students, but for everyone to vote.

“What’s interesting about politics is that your decision, your influence and your vote actually has an impact,” Griffin said.

Forensics senior KatiJo Fleming is registered to vote already. Fleming said she votes for every major election.

“I think it’s important for us to be heard,” Fleming said. “I’m a very vocal and opinionated person, and I think that people need to be more like that so we don’t keep running ourselves into the ground.”

Reach the reporter at jwilli62@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @JonWilliams_23

×