Man sentenced for death of former ASU football player Tyrice Thompson

Tyrice Thompson (right) with his son Takai and his father Richard. Tyrice, a former ASU football player, died on Feb. 2 after being attacked while working as a bouncer at Martini Ranch in Scottsdale. (Photo Courtesy of Kathy Starr)

Tyrice Thompson (right) with his son Takai and his father Richard. Tyrice, a former ASU football player, died on Feb. 2 after being attacked while working as a bouncer at Martini Ranch in Scottsdale. (Photo Courtesy of Kathy Starr) Tyrice Thompson (right) with his son Takai and his father Richard. (Photo
courtesy of Kathy Starr)

The man who stabbed a former ASU football player at a Scottsdale club in January 2013 was sentenced to 18 years in prison on Friday.

Ian MacDonald, 27, was convicted for manslaughter in mid-August for stabbing Tyrice Thompson, a former ASU wide receiver who was working as a bouncer at Martini Ranch. Thompson died from the injuries a few days later.

Thompson was a three-year letter winner with the Sun Devils, standing out on special teams and offense.

Thompson’s mother, Nancy Taylor, was the first witness to speak at the sentencing. Donning a maroon ASU football jersey with “Thompson 81” on the back, Taylor addressed Judge Roland Steinle.

“There’s no justification for killing my son,” Taylor said. “I sat in this trial every single day and to hear the defense argue that Ian was justified in killing my son makes me sick in my stomach. I find it deplorable.”

Taylor, among other witnesses who spoke on behalf of the prosecution said they forgive MacDonald, not because of anything he did but because they do not want to live with the burden of hate.

“I forgive you, Ian, for the cruel and heinous murder of my son,” Taylor said. “And know that this forgiveness does not come because you deserve it, but because I deserve some peace.”

The most emotional testimony came from Torrie Thompson, Thompson’s sister. She was the last person to be with Thompson before he died and signed off with the hospital to take him off life support. She said a parent should never have to see their child die, so she took the responsibility.

“That was the hardest signature I have ever signed,” Torrie said. “But still, in that moment, I’d rather have had it been me sign that than my parents.”

Then, she played a video featuring Thompson with his young son, Takai, who was less than 2 years old when Thompson died. The R&B song “Dance with My Father” by Luther Vandross played in the background.

The final witness for the prosecution was Richard Thompson, Thompson’s father. Richard addressed the judge about the change he has seen in the state since he arrived 70 years ago.

“I’ve been in Arizona for 70 years,” Richard said. “I came when I was four years old. Arizona now has become a place where people are murdering and killing. It’s almost like there’s no law and order. It’s like they’ve taken us back to the 1800s.”

MacDonald’s mother, Susan MacDonald, spoke on her son’s behalf. In her statement, she detailed her son’s story from high school to college to his stint in the Marines to the current day. She then proceeded to criticize the trial process her son went through.

“There were so many things wrong with Ian’s trial and, as a result, he is facing you today,” MacDonald said.

At that point in the address, Steinle interrupted MacDonald, telling her that it was not an appeal, but a sentencing. Steinle told MacDonald to skip ahead to a part of her prepared speech that was not an appeal.

Connor MacDonald, MacDonald’s brother, was blunter in his statements about the jury and the trial.

“The jury saw the facts, knew that he was defending himself, but were too emotionally weak to come to a logical conclusion,” Connor said. “Ian defended himself legally with an intent to preserve his own life.”

Steinle dismissed most of the mitigating factors proposed by the defense, such as alcohol impairing MacDonald’s judgment and the fact that MacDonald is remorseful. Steinle said the pattern of behavior MacDonald has shown is not of someone who has remorse, specifically stating the destruction of evidence and lying.

“A statement in court today that he is remorseful is not, in my view, sufficient proof that he, in fact, is remorseful,” Steinle said. “If he had remained at the scene and told officers what had happened and told them that he was very sorry for what had occurred, that might have been a factor that would have been taken into account, but of course he didn’t.”

Steinle gave his ruling to a stunned crowd of MacDonald supporters. Thompson’s family and friends walked out of the courtroom with a sense of closure, hugging each other as they left the courthouse, while those supporting MacDonald sat for a moment to process what had just happened.

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @Tonis_The_Tiger

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter

×