Patrick Park hopes to make an impact on ASU swim and dive program

Members of the ASU men’s swim team prepare to jump from the block during a 2010 Alumni Meet. (Photo by Aaron Lavinsky)

Members of the ASU men’s swim team prepare to jump from the block during a 2010 Alumni Meet. (Photo by Aaron Lavinsky) Members of the ASU men’s swim team prepare to jump from the block during the 2010 Alumni Meet. (Photo by Aaron Lavinsky)

Patrick Park may only be a freshman, but he is already contributing to the success of the ASU swim and dive team.

In his first two meets as a Sun Devil, Park helped lead the men’s 400-meter medley and freestyle relay teams to four consecutive victories.

He said every guy on the team feels like a brother to him and they help him out as much as possible.

Despite their occasional "sass," Park said the woman’s side has also shared their wisdom and become like sisters to him.

The close-knit feel was what made Park choose to come to ASU in the first place, and is already showing through with the relay success.

“It has been such a great transition,” he said. “I’m just so excited to represent (ASU) at meets.”

Park comes to ASU from Peddie School in Plainsboro, New Jersey, where he found his love of swimming courtesy of his older brother, Peter. Peter swam at the Peddie School and at the collegiate level at Northwestern.

“I was 4 years old when I started swimming,” Park said. “I mostly got into the sport because of my brother. I tried to follow in his footsteps.”

Park said he always knew he wanted to take after his brother and become a DI college athlete.

He said he chose ASU specifically because of the team’s attitude and atmosphere. Park said that though the Sun Devils haven’t been at the top of the Pac-12 recently, he believes himself, along with his freshman class, are going to make a difference in changing that.

“I really want to be that catalyst to represent ASU and bring us on top again,” Park said.

The Sun Devils are trying to bring their national championship culture back to the program. Park said there are plans to spice up the Mona Plummer Aquatic Center and put up some more ASU and Pac-12 memorabilia.

Park has high hopes for the team and himself during his time at ASU. He said he hopes to represent ASU at the highest level of competition he can.

“My biggest dream is to win Pac-12s and go on to NCAAs and make a final time,” Park said. “That would be the ultimate goal and such a blessing.”

With his past and current success, Park’s dreams are attainable.

At the 2014 Junior National Championships, Park placed eighth overall in the 100 butterfly and third overall in the 50 freestyle.

He was also named the 2014 Eastern Interscholastic Championships MVP and is a two-time Clinton I. Sprout Swimming Cup Champion.

“Swimming is a sport that gives me peace of mind,” Park said. “People think it's so boring going up and down the pool, but something about it is a stress reliever. It gives me peace.”

The medley relay team of sophomore Thomaz Martins, junior Thibaut Capitaine, sophomore Tadas Duskinas and Park; and the freestyle relay team of Park, Duskinas, Martins and sophomore Barkley Perry hope to continue their winning streak and help Park leave his mark on the ASU swim and dive program.

Reach the reporter at Megan.Kavy@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @meggiekavy

×