The EDGE: No. 14 ASU vs. Washington could come down to weather

Video by Ben Margiott | Multimedia reporter

EDGE_quarterbacks10-23

Once again, no matter who starts for ASU — though it’s expected to be redshirt senior Taylor Kelly this time — he will be better than who starts for the other side, which is also up in the air. Redshirt sophomore Cyler Miles reportedly suffered a concussion against Oregon, and redshirt freshman Troy Williams finished the game, going 5-of-10 and leading the Huskies on their only touchdown drive of the game. Miles and Williams both bring untapped potential to the table, but neither has come close to reaching it this season. Kelly and redshirt junior Mike Bercovici are both more proven than either of UW’s quarterbacks. It will be interesting to see if coach Todd Graham works in Bercovici if Kelly gets the start.

EDGE_runningbacks10-23

Junior D.J. Foster sets ASU apart. When healthy, both teams bring impressive depth to the table, but the Huskies are banged up in the backfield. They ended last week’s game giving handoffs to junior receiver John Ross and third-string running back Deonte Cooper. Neither Dwayne Washington nor Lavon Coleman can be ruled out of Saturday’s game, but it’s far from guaranteed either will play. Still, like at quarterback, none of Washington’s running backs are as proven as Foster. Similar to the Sun Devils, the Huskies like to spread their carries around. No running back averages more than 63 yards per game, but eight average double digit yards. If Coleman and/or Washington doesn’t play, linebacker Shaq Thompson could become more involved in the running game. He’s been used in the backfield sparingly this season, carrying the ball nine times for 86 yards and a touchdown.

EDGE_widereciever10-23

The Huskies don’t have a Jaelen Strong, but most teams don’t. What hurts ASU is that it doesn’t have anywhere near the depth at receiver that the Huskies do. Ross and Jaydon Mickens are two of the best playmakers in the Pac-12, and Kasen Williams provides a reliable big target on the outside. Neither team boasts much from the tight end position — UW’s three tight ends combine for 16 catches for 134 yards, while Kody Kohl and De’Marieya Nelson, albeit more involved lately, have only combined for 13 catches and 157 yards on the season

EDGE_offensive10-23

Both teams have experienced and reliable offensive lines. The Sun Devils have had the slight edge to this point in the season, but when they faced an intimidating defensive line against Stanford, the group really struggled for the first time this season. The Huskies, anchored by Micah Hatchie at left tackle, have been consistently good enough. At times, first-year starter Miles has been under more pressure than coach Chris Petersen would like, but for the most part, the Huskies have been solid in the trenches.

EDGE_defensive10-23

This one isn’t even close. What has been the Huskies biggest strength this season has also been the Sun Devils’ biggest weakness. UW leads the Pac-12 with 3.83 sacks per game, and the Huskies consistently pressure the quarterback. Even against Stanford’s trees up front, UW forced Kevin Hogan into making bad throws (though, that doesn’t take much). The ASU defensive line had its best game against Stanford, too, though (UW’s best wasn’t against Stanford). Now that Todd Graham has decided to stick with his big linemen, the entire season could change. If that personnel shakeup continues to have as much success as it did against Stanford, the edge here could shrink. Although with Danny Shelton and Hau’oli Kikaha, the Huskies shouldn’t relinquish it completely.

EDGE_linebacker10-23

This is probably the most underrated part of the ASU defense, but that doesn’t mean the Sun Devils trump the Huskies here. UW has not only one of the best linebackers in the Pac-12 but the country in Thompson. The former five-star recruit has come into his own this season. He’s forced and recovered three fumbles for touchdowns (two have been straight strips) and returned an interception for a touchdown. Oh yeah, he’s also ran the ball for another touchdown, but that’s not on topic. Laiu Moeakiola, Antonio Longino and Salamo Fiso have performed well in their own right, but all are around the levels of John Timu and Travis Feeney, with none coming close to Thompson.

EDGE_secondary10-23

If there’s a weak point in the Huskies defense, it’s the secondary. Last season, it was its strength, but with the graduations of three of four starters in the backend of the defense, All-Pac-12 cornerback Marcus Peters was left to fend for himself, surrounded by two freshmen and one sophomore, all first-year starters. Peters has gotten into his fair share of trouble this season on the field and it resulted in him getting suspended for a game. Although, that may have been a blessing in disguise for the Huskies, as that was when freshman Sidney Jones really came into his own. Jermaine Kelly and Naijiel Hale had struggled mightily opposite Peters, but Jones has since taken over and performed admirably for a freshman. Budda Baker spurned Oregon to stay home and play for the Huskies once Petersen was hired, and he came in with high expectations, but he’s faced growing pains all season. He’s talented enough that a breakout could be coming, and if it comes against ASU, the Sun Devils could be in trouble.

EDGE_specialteams10-23

The Sun Devils face their third straight dangerous return man. This time it’s Ross, who is probably the fastest player in the Pac-12 and could be the fastest in the country. He’s been clocked at a 4.29 40-yard dash, and he plays quicker than that. He’s not the Huskies’ exclusive returner, though. Dante Pettis has actually been the main punt returner, but he’s been equally as effective, averaging 10.5 yards per return, while Ross averages 22.7 on kick returns. It’s going to come down to which team covers the best, as neither has a punter or kickoff returner that is going to change the game much (though Matt Haack might dispute that after last week’s game).

EDGE_overall10-23

ASU obliterated the Huskies last season in Tempe, but that game can pretty much be thrown out the window. Coaches say that about every game, but it’s actually the case here. ASU lost nine of its starters that held Bishop Sankey and the Huskies to negative yards on the ground. And speaking of Sankey, he and many of the main parts of UW’s offense last season are gone, too. Tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins is now on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and quarterback Keith Price graduated. The Huskies defense has grown up a lot since it surrendered 56 points to ASU last season, as has the Sun Devils’ offense. The Huskies even have a brand new coaching staff, led by former Boise State coach Petersen.

This has always been an interesting match up to me. I grew up in Seattle, and since I came to ASU, the two teams have mirrored each other quite a bit. Although the score last season didn’t indicate it, I thought the two were incredibly similar from a pure talent perspective. And after the big losses from each side, I believe it’s the same this season.

Reach the reporter at ewebeck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter@EvanWebeck

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow them on Twitter@statepresssport

×