Without Carson, Marshall, Bachynski, change imminent for ASU basketball

Sophomore Forward Savon Goodman talks about his excitement for the upcoming season, ASU’s first game is on Nov. 14 against Chicago State. (Photo by Mario Mendez)

Sophomore Forward Savon Goodman talks about his excitement for the upcoming season, ASU’s first game is on Nov. 14 against Chicago State. (Photo by Mario Mendez) Sophomore Forward Savon Goodman talks about his excitement for the upcoming season, ASU’s first game is on Nov. 14 against Chicago State. (Photo by Mario Mendez)

Without established players like guards Jahii Carson and Jermaine Marshall or center Jordan Bachynski on the floor, ASU basketball is not going to look the same as it did a year ago.

“It’s completely different than any team we’ve had at ASU,” coach Herb Sendek said. “No team we’ve had resembles this team.”

Sendek pointed out four defining differences between this year's squad and others Sendek has coached while at ASU.

“Number one: a lot of the players are about the same, good quality depth,” he said.

No names stand out as headlining stars, but the team is as deep as any he’s seen.

The only returning player who was a regular starter last season is senior forward Shaquielle McKissic. Senior forward Jonathan Gilling and junior forward/center Eric Jacobsen saw considerable starting time last season, but neither started more than 20 games.

“I don’t know if we have any star power … but we have a number of guys who are good players and who I think will play well together and allow us to come at teams with more depth than we’ve had in the past,” Sendek said.

He said he’s not sure who will be the team’s go-to scorer.

“I don’t think we have that one guy,” he said. “I think we have a number of guys who can score but I think we’re going to have a team who’s really disposed to making each other better.”

This year's team lacks a player like Carson, who was able to create a play by isolating himself and his defender.

To counter that, Sendek said the team would rely on passing and moving the ball quickly, which led him to his second major difference.

“It’s probably our quickest team, top to bottom,” he said.

Last season, the Sun Devils employed a 3-12-24 offensive scheme in which they’d try to get the ball up court in three seconds and then attempt to find their shot within the next 12. They’d play according to the 24-second NBA shot clock instead of the 35-second NCAA one.

Sendek said he would like to adjust that even more fully this year.

“I think (the tempo) will be faster,” he said. “We have a team that’s built to play fast on both ends of the ball. We’re going to turn them loose and let them play.”

Freshman guard Tra Holder is likely going to be a key part of this fast-paced offense. A four-star recruit, he came to ASU from Brentwood School in California. Sendek called him the team's only true point guard.

Holder showcased ease and confidence in the interviews on media day as he talked how ASU’s play style affected his college decision.

"It’s my type of offense,” he said. "Fast, up-tempo, so I think it was going to be a good fit.”

Sendek indicated that Holder leads the race for the starting point guard position but also said the team will use a rotation.

Along with Holder, sophomore Chance Murray and junior Gerry Blakes will rotate into the guard positions.

The third and fourth differences are intangibles that can’t be taught: toughness and a desire to learn.

“This team has the potential to have an edge of toughness that at times I think has been wanted,” Sendek said.

Sendek touched on the toughness of two of the team's four junior college transfers.

Junior forward Willie Atwood and sophomore forward Savon Goodman were both mentioned by the coach, who labeled them as capable defenders with strong rebounding ability.

Atwood is expected to receive more playing time between the two, but Goodman talked about what his ability to defend could bring to the floor.

“My biggest threat is that I can guard a one through a five,” he said.

Goodman said his quickness and strength allows him to stay in front of guards, keep up with forwards and prevent bigs from posting him up.

Without Bachynski, ASU needs that post presence, and Sendek said the team may have to change its defensive style.

“We’re going to have to make up for the fact that we don’t have the all-time shot blocker at the rim,” he said. “I don’t think we have somebody like that, so we’re going to have to do it other ways.”

However, if the 6-foot-7 Goodman is correct in saying that he can capably cover bigs such as the pair of 7-foot UA centers, maybe the team won’t have to change quite as much.

The learning process is important as well. Sendek said the team's final difference from the past is its “tremendous appetite to learn (and) to be coached.”

Reach the reporter at logan.newman@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @Logan_Newsman

×