88th Territorial Cup poised to be one of best yet

Former defensive end Carl Bradford and defensive end Davon Coleman celebrate after defeating the Wildcats on Nov. 30, 2013. (Photo by Diana Lustig)

Former defensive end Carl Bradford and defensive end Davon Coleman celebrate after defeating the Wildcats on Nov. 30, 2013. (Photo by Diana Lustig) Former defensive end Carl Bradford and defensive end Davon Coleman celebrate after defeating the Wildcats on Nov. 30, 2013. (Photo by Diana Lustig)

Its trophy is the oldest of college football's rivalries. There have been 87 meetings between the two heated rivals, dating back to 1899. It's been deemed the most intense rivalry in college football. But few have been as evenly matched as the 88th installment of the Territorial Cup, which kicks off Friday at 1:30 p.m. in Tucson.

ASU football is No. 13 in the College Football Playoff and UA is No. 11. Not only is it a battle for the Territorial Cup, it is a battle for 10 regular-season wins, a potential Pac-12 South championship and possibly a non-playoff, former BCS bowl.

In a rivalry with so much history, it's a bit ironic that one of its biggest meetings comes between coaches who have experienced only a combined four Territorial Cups between them. Neither questions the importance of the rivalry, though.

"I don’t believe that ‘if you only win one game but you beat ASU, it’s a good year,’ " UA coach Rich Rodriguez told ESPN.com. "But it is the most important game on our schedule because it is the rivalry game. ... Now that we both have had pretty good years and have even more at stake, this makes it of added importance."

Added ASU coach Todd Graham: "This game is the single most important game of the year for us and for our fans. Obviously it has a lot more meaning, both teams are going for their tenth win and the Pac-12 South Championship is on the line, there is definitely a little extra importance added to this game.”

Graham has been peppered with questions all week about the rivalry. He's yet to shy away from gushing about the passion shown by each fan base and the pageantry that comes with the matchup.

Since the two teams entered the then-Pac-10 in 1978, only once have both teams been ranked entering the Territorial Cup: 1986. The 2014 showdown will mark the second time, and far more could potentially be on the line this time.

Graham hasn't lost a Territorial Cup. Thus, Rodriguez hasn't won one over his former assistant coach at West Virginia. He and Rodriguez arrived in the state of Arizona at the same time, and their teams have taken similar paths. The first showdown, 6-5 ASU beat 7-4 UA in Tucson. Last season, 9-2 ASU beat 7-4 UA to clinch the Pac-12 South. Now, both teams are 9-2 and looking to do the same — with a little help from Stanford, which plays UCLA at the same time as the Territorial Cup and has to win for ASU or UA to win the South.

This might closest-matched the two rivals have been in a long time — at least when both are as good as they are in 2014. That doesn't necessarily matter, though. Anything is possible when two rivals play each other. If anything's close to a guarantee, it's that it will be a close game. Four of the last five Territorial Cups have been decided by a touchdown or less.

"Going into this game, it really doesn't matter," ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell said. "You know it's going to be a tremendous battle. Records don't really matter. All that matters is what goes on between those white lines."

Three things to watch for

1. Turnover battle

One key to the success of both teams has been their tremendous work creating turnovers on defense and avoid them on offense. ASU ranks fifth in the nation in turnover margin, forcing 12 more than it's given away. UA isn't far behind, ninth in the nation with a plus-10 margin. The Sun Devils have seen newfound success in forcing turnovers of late, especially interceptions. Against Washington State, ASU picked off Luke Falk four times and two weeks prior against Notre Dame, the Sun Devils had five interceptions of Everett Golson.

To keep the success, redshirt junior safety Jordan Simone said ASU just has to keep the doing the same thing it has been. The biggest difference versus earlier in the season according to Simone has been the coaching and players having the time to thrive under the "best coaching staff in the country."

2. Containing Anu Solomon

The Wildcats have improved tenfold at the quarterback position from a season ago, when B.J. Denker was under center for UA. In his first year starting, redshirt freshman Anu Solomon has been both a breath of fresh air and a much-needed improvement. With the loss of All-American running back Ka'Deem Carey, UA needed someone to step up. Denker and his receivers certainly have. ASU defensive coordinator Keith Patterson said UA's offense compares most to that of the Sun Devils.

So it'll be easy to figure out, right? "I wouldn't say that," Patterson said with a laugh. Solomon's running ability in addition to his passing skills provide an additional challenge for the ASU defense. With the fast pace UA's offense operates at, the Sun Devils will have to do their best to stay fresh in order to contain Solomon.

3. Cats running wild

If there's been a kryptonite to Todd Graham's defense this season, it's been teams that run a hurry-up offense. It complicates substitution for the Sun Devils, something they've relied on heavily this season. In their most successful defensive games — Stanford, Utah and Washington — their opponents haven't run that type of offense. Those were slower to get to the line and focused more on executing plays, rather than catching the defense off guard. Those infamous Todd Graham defensive timeouts come because he doesn't feel his defense is ready to defend what he sees his opponents about to run, whether that means the right players aren't on the field, there aren't 11 of them or they aren't set up correctly. When he gets a chance to substitute and call plays, this isn't an issue. We'll get a chance to see how he's improved in this facet from the start of the season. If the Sun Devils aren't prepared, it will show, and the Wildcats could take advantage of it.

TV/radio information

Kickoff: 1:30 p.m Arizona time

TV: FOX

Radio: 620 AM/98.7 FM KTAR

Prediction: No. 13 ASU 28, No. 11 UA 24

×