The EDGE: Not much separation between ASU, Notre Dame

Video by Ben Margiott | Multimedia reporter

EDGE_quarterbacks11-7

For only the third time this season, the Sun Devils don't have the EDGE at quarterback. The previous two were UCLA and USC. Irish quarterback Everett Golson presents possibly the biggest threat the Sun Devils have faced all season, and certainly the biggest since ASU revamped its defense. Taylor Kelly hasn't been himself since returning from his six-week absence, but this could be his breakout week. He'll have to take some attention away from D.J. Foster in the backfield.

EDGE_runningbacks11-7

If Kelly can pass efficiently and add another run threat in the backfield, the Sun Devils have a clear edge here. Notre Dame's defense thrives on the run, so ASU has to shake it up and keep the Irish on their feet. Because of the Sun Devils' strong depth, they should be able to do that and see at least some success on the ground. The Irish's second-leading rusher is their quarterback, Golson. The Sun Devils have four non-quarterback rushers with at least 30 runs and at least 100 yards this season, while the Irish have three.

EDGE_widereciever11-7

Despite the Jaelen Strong factor, this wasn't particularly close. Notre Dame presents one of the most talented receiving corps in the nation, and one of the toughest ASU will face this season. The Irish have seven players with more than 150 receiving yards — ASU has four. One of those four is Strong, but his advantage at the top tier doesn't erase ASU's disadvantage lower on the depth chart. The Irish also have a tight end, Ben Koyack, who appeared on some preseason All-America lists. He has 23 catches for 233 yards — more than ASU's Kody Kohl and De'Marieya Nelson have combined, in both categories.

EDGE_offensive11-7

The average Notre Dame lineman weighs 309 pounds and stands 6-foot-5. And yet, if they have an advantage over ASU, it's only a slight one. The Sun Devils expect to get left guard Christian Westerman back, after one game of Stephon McCray filling in. Notre Dame's line is even bigger than Stanford's, but ASU had its breakout defensive game against the Cardinal. That's when they debuted the bigger defensive set they use now. The Sun Devil defensive line is still smaller, but it's by a much smaller margin.

EDGE_defensive11-7

It doesn't help the Sun Devils that their most experienced defensive lineman will miss the game. Jaxon Hood is dealing with personal issues, azcentral's Doug Haller reported, just as his missed a chunk of fall camp with. However, ASU gets Demetrius Cherry back, after a one-game suspension for a violation of team rules. Although ASU's line has improved as the season's progressed, Notre Dame's has been playing at that level all along. Its four starting defensive linemen combine for 18 tackles for loss, though they play the run better than get after the quarterback. It'll now have to carry the defense, with linebacker Joe Schmidt is out for the season.

EDGE_linebacker11-7

Just as Notre Dame gained an additional edge on the defensive line, with Hood out for ASU, the Sun Devils gain a hand here with the unfortunate injury to Notre Dame's Joe Schmidt. Not only does he lead the team in tackles, he equates to their Laiu Moeakiola — the "stabilizer" of the defense. Todd Graham blames many of the defense's early struggles on his absence. Although Notre Dame has a talented freshman, Nyles Morgan, stepping into Schmidt's place, it gives ASU's talented group of linebackers just enough to get the EDGE.

EDGE_secondary11-7

Despite some early season shakeup in this group, it's been the most stable position group for the Sun Devils this season. Jordan Simone has proved to be the perfect partner for Damarious Randall, and Kweishi Brown seems to have locked up the corner spot opposite Lloyd Carrington. Even when the defense was going through its rough patch early in the season, the secondary was making plays (though it's made improvements, too). Meanwhile, if there's an area where Notre Dame's defense struggles, it's this one. The Irish lost a talented player before the season when cornerback KeiVarae Russell was among those suspending for academic fraud.

EDGE_specialteams11-7

For the first time in five games — dating back to September — ASU won't face a returner amongst the best in the country. From Ishmael Adams to Nelson Agholar to Ty Montgomery to John Ross to Kaelin Clay, it was a murderer's row of return men. The Sun Devils came out stronger because of it. Kick and punt coverage still isn't the highlight of the team, but it's better than what it was at the beginning of the season. Notre Dame hasn't returned a punt or kickoff for a touchdown this season. While neither team has a tremendous return game, both have very good kickers. Irish kicker Kyle Brindza sits near the top of the Notre Dame record books in almost every kicking category. Brindza bring two years senior to Zane Gonzalez, ASU's sophomore hasn't had time to supplant himself in the record books much, but he's on pace to leave in Brindza's position.

EDGE_overall11-7

These are two very evenly matched teams. Each has an advantage, and each a disadvantage. Last year's matchup was close, and this one could be closer. There's more on the line, that's for sure. The Irish have a unique threat in Everett Golson, while ASU has one in Jaelen Strong. The man getting Strong the ball, Taylor Kelly, will have to have a breakout game.

Reach the reporter at ewebeck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @EvanWebeck

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow them on Twitter @statepresssport

×