Trends are hard to keep up with these days. It requires a lot of magazine flipping, mood-board scanning and blog scrolling. They’re even more difficult to follow when high fashion deems bank-breakers as the season’s must-haves.

With the new year rolling in, new trends have been sprouting in the streets, the Vogues and the runways of the world. The snow globe that is fashion has shaken the old and familiar styles of last year.

Before the passing of 2014, a matte trend wriggled its way into the spotlight. Now all things matte, from nail polish to makeup, are a founding pillar for 2015’s style.

Matte, by dictionary definition, is dull and flat. While the texture may be somber and subdued, the outcome is a striking, vibrant contrast with skin's natural shine.

It’s always nice to splurge. It’s also nice to have the money to splurge. But for those who are without 20 dollars or more to drop on a new shade of lipstick that might end up looking horribly unfortunate, there’s a solution: NYX.

NYX is an up and coming cosmetic line tucked away on the shelves of Target and CVS. It uses a shine-free aspect in its textures but steers clear from dull and flat in its colors. This also allows the trendies of the world to take on the latest rage for $6 a lipstick.

Being cloaked under the sub-par connotation that is associated with makeup lines from these stores, one might mistake NYX for mediocre.

However, this line is far from average, offering a plethora of not only quality products but also an assortment of matte-themed makeup. The brand's reasonable prices makes them even more of a priority.

NYX offers a bold look in all of its products. Lips, eye lids, cheeks and lashes are all victims of classic, old-fashioned beautification when this brand is in tow.

The best steals NYX has concocted in the realm of matte are its lipstick and unique lip cream. The brand keeps 33 shades of matte lipstick in its online catalog, along with 10 or so different shades in stores.

The lip cream applies like a lip gloss but leaves a flat, pigmented coloring on the lips. Unlike many lip glosses that are gunky and dehydrating, the soft matte lip cream moisturizes. It's also long lasting and capable of withstanding a few coffees, lunches and kisses. NYX has advertised it as "neither lipstick nor lipgloss." It's somewhere in between, with strong hydrating and coloring powers.

The new matte trend is sailing thankfully away from "the glossier the better" anthem that echoed throughout the '90s. Say goodbye to flypaper lips that are magnets for hair in the wind. The only thing these creamy lips will be attracting are stares, whistles and envy.

The rich colors NYX has to offer may lead one astray from another must-have product in their collection: the Matte Mist. The little black bottle holds setting spray that keeps makeup lasting and matte, eliminating all unwanted shine.

Rather than being melted by the heat or humidity of the day, this spray keeps dolled up intact and fresh. So whether you've just walked out of a cool, air-conditioned classroom or booked it across campus in 90-degree weather, you still look fresh as ever.

Try out the latest matte trend and sport a high fashion look for a low price with NYX's lipsticks, lip creams and Matte Mist setting spray to keep your college kid budget in check while also keeping up with the latest trends.

Reach the reporter at aerumore@asu.edu or follow @AubreyElleR on Twitter

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter

×