Pac-12 Power Rankings: ASU men's basketball moves up after weekend split

1. Arizona (18-2, 6-1 Pac-12)

ua

Another week, another sweep for the Wildcats. A high-scoring affair in Palo Alto followed by a drubbing on Cal showed that Arizona can win in any way it needs to and it continues to be the clear-cut top team in the conference.

2. Utah (16-3, 6-1 Pac-12)

utah

The Utes continued their domination while playing in Salt Lake City this season, winning their games by 22 points each. Utah has outscored its opponents by 18.6 points per game this season, despite an 18-point loss to Arizona.

3. Stanford (14-5, 5-2 Pac-12)

stanfordAfter being smothered by Arizona on Thursday, the Cardinal put the kibosh on a possible winning streak for ASU, dominating every phase of Saturday's matchup. Stanford had three players score at least 20 points in the win and showed what it can do when clicking on all cylinders.

4. Oregon (14-6, 4-3 Pac-12)

oregonThe Ducks eke out the fourth spot over Oregon State because of the head-to-head win to open conference play. Oregon swept the LA schools to get back on track after back-to-back losses in Washington and hope to keep their momentum in the Valley this week.

5. Oregon State (14-5, 5-2)

osuThe Beavers and first-year coach Wayne Tinkle have taken the league by storm and are making a run to a possible at-large bid in March. Gary Payton II has been the best player, but the key to Oregon State's success has been defense. The Beavers rank ninth in the country, giving up just 56.1 points per game.

6. Washington (14-5, 3-4 Pac-12)

uw

The Rocky Mountain trip may be the hardest in the Pac-12, but the Huskies survived with a split, winning in Boulder and, predictably, falling to Utah. A two-game homestand is on the horizon with Stanford and Cal heading to Seattle. If the Huskies can win both, they can once again be called conference contenders.

7. Colorado (10-9, 3-4 Pac-12)

coloradoThe Buffaloes have underperformed this season and are now looking to find wins where they can. Thankfully for Colorado, the LA trip is on the horizon with the hopes of another sweep like the last time.

8. UCLA (11-9, 3-4 Pac-12)

uclaThe Bruins have either looked really good or really bad in their games this season, no matter the opponent. Most recently, UCLA looked lackluster in back-to-back losses in the Pacific Northwest. Some sunshine and home cooking may be in order to cure UCLA, who play a majority of their remaining games at Pauley Pavilion.

9. ASU (10-10, 2-5 Pac-12)

asuThe Sun Devils were finally able to rack up their first road win of the season at Haas Pavilion against Cal this weekend, maybe turning them in the right direction. ASU is the only team in the Pac-12 to have played the "big three" of Arizona, Utah and Stanford, which means that it may be easier to catch up in the standings as the season progresses.

10. Washington State (9-10, 3-4 Pac-12)

wsuThe Cougars entered conference play as the worst team in the conference, but were able to eke out wins in three of their first four Pac-12 games. Washington State is now on a three-game losing streak and the team is back under .500 with the Bay Area schools visiting this week.

11. USC (9-10, 1-6 Pac-12)

uscThe Trojans' inconsistency to start the season has turned into poor play during their four-game losing streak. USC was able to keep three of those games close, but losses are losses.

12. Cal (11-9, 1-6 Pac-12)

calThe Golden Bears were a team of promise in December after winning 10 of their first 11 games. Back-to-back losses to end 2014 have avalanched into a full-fledged drop-off. Cal has won just one game since Dec. 19 and went over 13 minutes of gametime without scoring in a loss to ASU last weekend. The Bears will need to right the ship ASAP to salvage this year.

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or on Twitter @Tonis_The_Tiger.

×