Spotlight: Baseball is beautiful at Phoenix Muni

At the end of the first inning, the Sun Devils return to the dugout at the end of the first inning of a game against Oklahoma State on Friday, Feb. 13, 2015 at Phoenix Municipal Stadium. (J. Bauer-Leffler/The State Press)

At the end of the first inning, the Sun Devils return to the dugout at the end of the first inning of a game against Oklahoma State on Friday, Feb. 13, 2015 at Phoenix Municipal Stadium. (J. Bauer-Leffler/The State Press) At the end of the first inning, the Sun Devils return to the dugout at the end of the first inning of a game against Oklahoma State on Friday, Feb. 13, 2015 at Phoenix Municipal Stadium. (J. Bauer-Leffler/The State Press)

While the shell of Packard Stadium still stands (for now) in Tempe, ASU has found a new baseball haven at Phoenix Muni.

What the Sun Devils saw in their opening weekend in their new ballpark was something that has been missing from the historic program for years: excitement.

Maybe it was new manager Tracy Smith, whose enthusiasm on and off the diamond has drawn attention to himself and the program after years of student body apathy.

Or it is the palace that is their new ballpark. Commodities such as suites and a professional press box that were almost unheard of at Packard, now gleam in freshly painted maroon and gold.

The history is there as well. Beyond the left-center field fence resides the number of retired numbers in the Sun Devils' storied history from Barry Bonds to Reggie Jackson among many more. Over the right-center field fence sits the banner marking each of ASU's five national championships.

Bonds, Jackson and current Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia are among those honored in the alumni locker room. The University even brought back Pedroia to throw the first pitch in the new ballpark.

Friday: 4,253 Saturday: 2,878 Sunday: 3,229 Total: 10,360

"The Inferno"

"I think from a community, fan, student perspective, this is a great move and a good thing for ASU and a good thing for our community," Smith said after Sunday's finale.

I couldn't agree more.

Phoenix Municipal Stadium, like ASU, isn't going anywhere.

Reach the assistant sports editor at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×