ASU football linebacking corps wraps up spring session as a team strength

Loaded with depth and returning talent, ASU's linebackers look strong during spring football

ASU SPRING GAME Latu Tackle
Sophomore Alani Latu (center) tackles Sophomore Jacom Brimhall (left) during the Spring game Friday April 10, 2015 in Tempe. (Jacob Stanek/The State Press)

In coach Todd Graham's hybrid defensive scheme, there is probably no position group more important than the linebackers.

Tuesday's practice was the last of the spring session, and re-emphasized what is expected to be a strength during the 2015 season: linebacker.

In returning each of the major starters on the linebacking corps from 2014 in addition to adding developed talent that didn't see action last season, this year's linebackers should expect to be dominant.

First of all, they're deep. Each position has major competition between the first and second-team defenses, with both sides making major cases to start once the season starts on Sept. 5.

2014 backups Carlos Mendoza and Christian Sam have each made particularly strong cases. Mendoza looked to be on his way to becoming the starter last fall before an injury at Camp Tontozona sidelined him and opened the door for then-freshman D.J. Calhoun to shine. 

Sam, a sophomore, has grown immensely in his second year with the program.

"Coming in, it's like you're a lost puppy," Sam said. "They strain you. At first, it's like, 'What's going on?' then you kind of get used to it...now you know what's coming. You know what (Todd Graham) expects."

Sam's progression has led to a more mature style of play which has boosted him toward a starting role. In Tuesday's session, Sam was seen mostly working with the first-team defensive unit.

After moving around much of his freshman year, Sam has simplified everything he does, including how he looks at each of the linebacker positions.

"It's kind of crazy, kind of wild (to learn all the positions) because I didn't really know that much," Sam said. "Now I have a year under my belt and they're all kind of like the same, if you really think about it. You just don't want to overcomplicate it."

Joining Sam for most of the first-team reps Tuesday were Calhoun, redshirt freshman Ismael Murphy-Richardson, redshirt junior Salamo Fiso and redshirt sophomore Marcus Ball.

Redshirt junior Laiu Moeakiola, arguably the team's most important defensive player in 2014, has been out of the loop for most of the spring with injury issues.

Mendoza has had an impressive spring, though it looks like Calhoun still has the inside track at the starting spot. Redshirt sophomore safety James Johnson has been almost interchangeable with Ball, a former safety, with both taking their turns at Spur linebacker. 

Redshirt senior linebacker Antonio Longino, a returning starter, has also impressed at points this spring despite working mostly with the second team. Redshirt sophomore Alani Latu has also shone in moments for the second team.

With so much returning talent, confidence is high for this group.

"I don't think we've hit our ceiling," Sam said. "I don't think we've touched it yet. Scraped it even. In the fall, we've just got to get back at it."

Perhaps the biggest surprise at linebacker has been someone who has never even taken a defensive snap at the collegiate level. Sophomore running back Kalen Ballage has taken snaps at running back, every special teams group and also at Devilbacker this spring.

"Kalen Ballage right now is probably our best pass rusher, an explosive talent in the backfield, playing every special teams," Graham said. "He's absolutely just off the chain this spring."

The original plan is to potentially use Ballage at linebacker on situational pass-rush downs, Graham said.

"He can be a third-down pass rusher," he said. "He's got to be on the field offensively. You have to figure out how to get the best guys on the field."

With the spring coming to an end, the expectations remain elevated, if not going even higher, for ASU.

"A lot of people would like to have that problem of winning 10 games a year," Graham said. "But our program is about winning championships, and we've got to get to that level. We can't be satisfied with winning 10 games."

Additional Notes

– Sophomore running back Demario Richard was not at practice Tuesday after suffering from an allergic reaction, Graham said.

– Sophomore defensive lineman Tashon Smallwood did not dress out for practice Tuesday, showing up in a T-shirt and shorts and leaving before the final post-practice speech.

– After a brief scuffle between senior center Nick Kelly and redshirt junior defensive lineman Edmond Boateng on Sunday, both performed well at practice Tuesday and were donning "Flame" helmets.

– Redshirt freshman wide receiver Jalen Harvey was in a green no-contact jersey Tuesday after appearing to injure his right ankle on Sunday.

– Senior cornerback Kweishi Brown was limited again at practice Tuesday with a knee injury. While not wearing a green no-contact jersey, he rarely participated in positional and team drills.

– Redshirt senior wide receiver Gary Chambers made a couple consecutive big plays Tuesday before appearing to injure his hand celebrating. On one play, he dove across his body to catch a Manny Wilkins pass one-handed, and on the next play stretched to snag a Wilkins touchdown pass.

Reach the assistant sports editor at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×