Female representation served à la mode

The representation of badass women is important in all facets of our lives — even sitting in our freezers on ice cream from Vermont.

Feminism ice cream

A call for female representation in an obscure place — emblazoned on the front of America’s favorite pint-sized ice cream containers — has been gaining support from a recent change.org petition.

The petition, which has garnered more than 2,000 signatures, calls for the creation of an ice cream flavor honoring U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. The frozen dessert, which has a proposed name of “Ruth Bader Ginger,” would sit on shelves accompanied by flavors exalting celebrity greats like John Lennon and Willie Nelson.

Despite ice cream giants Ben & Jerry’s creating more than 20 flavors dedicated to people, over the past three decades only two flavors have honored females. “It’s important to recognize women heroes everywhere we can,” the petition reads.

By introducing more women to its repertoire of celebrity ice cream flavors, Ben & Jerry’s will reinforce the worthwhile and meaningful changes women have made to our society, while creating a possible conversation starter for families and acknowledging the importance of visible female role models for future generations.

Why limit the petition to Ginsburg? There need to be more women represented to customers from the temperature controlled shelves of the freezer aisle. The representation of badass women is important in all facets of our lives — even sitting in our freezers on ice cream from Vermont.

Photo illustration Emily Johnson

Beyoncé

This American Singer-Songwriter has been bolstering self-confidence and body positivity across the globe since her days fronting Destiny’s Child. Whether it’s performing in front of digitally-rendered FEMINIST sign or belting the lyrics to “***Flawless,” Yoncé has always made it clear that she stands in solidarity with women of the world. Who run the world? Girls — and we can all get on board with that flavor.

Photo illustration Emily Johnson

Susan B. Anthony

Without Anthony, who knows how long it would have taken the old, white men leading the U.S. to pass the 19th amendment and guarantee women the right to vote? Despite ridicule and accusations that she was trying to dismantle marriage, Anthony stood fast, fighting for the rights of women of her time and future generations.

Photo illustration Emily Johnson

Sacagawea

The importance of Native American Sacagawea to American culture is palpable. In 2000, she was featured on her own coin, the Sacagawea Dollar. The following year, President Bill Clinton honored her with the title of Honorary Sergeant, U.S. Army. After leading Lewis and Clark more than 8,000 miles from South Dakota to the Pacific Ocean and serving as their guide, it is obvious that the U.S. would not be the country it is today without her guidance and perseverance.

Photo illustration Emily Johnson

Malala Yousafzai

After spending months secretly chronicling the injustices she faced as a female student living in a Taliban-occupied region and literally taking a bullet for the cause she believed in — Pakistani female education — Yousafzai became the youngest Nobel Prize laureate. Equal education is a basic human right, and it’s both refreshing and inspiring to see someone so young so dedicated to enforcing equal rights for all genders.

Photo illustration Emily Johnson

Maya Angelou

When Angelou, the famed author, poet, singer, dancer and actress, died last year at age 86, the world lost a powerful woman, speaker and writer. Angelou’s raw descriptions of her life, present in her famous work “I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings” and her other autobiographies, provided a lens for outsiders to view challenges that plague the lives of African-American women. Angelou wrote about her life without being apologetic or ashamed because of the color of her skin. Her writings channeled intersectionality and created a space that encouraged an increase in black feminist writings and the black feminist movement.

×