ASU football fall camp primer: Three things to watch for

What should ASU fans expect when fall camp opens Wednesday

Football summer D.J. Foster
Senior running back D.J. Foster (second from left) gives a speech before breaking the rock during ASU football's last summer workout on Friday, July 24, 2015 at the the Verde Dickey Dome in Tempe. Breaking the rock is an annual Sun Devil football tradition that marks the end of summer practices and the beginning of the new season.

The wait is almost over, as ASU football begins its fall camp Wednesday at Kajikawa Practice Field in Tempe.

Before things kick into full gear, here are some key storylines to watch:

1. Position battles

Position battles are arguably the most dramatic part of fall camp, with several players competing to see who will see some action in ASU's opener against Texas A&M. These are the ones you should be following.

Field Corner: Senior Kweishi Brown vs. redshirt senior Solomon Means

This is a battle that began brewing in the middle of spring football, as Brown's knee injury limited him and allowed Means to shine. Odds are on Brown to retain his position, but Means will be make it tough on him and will certainly see playing time either at the field corner or nickel corner positions in 2015.

Field Safety: Redshirt sophomore James Johnson vs. sophomore Armand Perry

Replacing Damarious Randall will be a tough task for ASU's defense, but both Johnson and Perry bring experience despite their young age. Johnson has starting experience from early 2014 before being replaced by now-redshirt senior Jordan Simone, and Perry flashed a bit of Randall's big-play ability with a pick-six against Washington last season.

Left Tackle: Redshirt junior Evan Goodman vs. redshirt freshman Sam Jones

Like with the field safety position, ASU will have to replace an NFL-level talent at the left tackle position in Jamil Douglas. Goodman is the odds-on favorite to win this job given his experience with the offense, but Jones' natural ability could make him a threat to compete to protect his quarterback's blind side.

Wide Receiver (X): Redshirt sophomore Ellis Jefferson vs. redshirt senior Devin Lucien vs. freshman Terrell Chatman

The other spots along the wide receiving corps appear to be locked up by senior D.J. Foster (Z) and redshirt senior Gary Chambers (Y), but the "X" position looks wide open. All three were listed as starters in the preseason depth chart, while each brings something a little different to the table. Jefferson has excellent size and chemistry with redshirt senior quarterback. Lucien comes from UCLA as a graduate transfer as a burner who is expected to play a similar role to what was expected of Cam Smith this season. Chatman comes in as a true freshman with a big frame and physical style much like former Sun Devil Jaelen Strong. 

"Devil" linebacker, otherwise known as "Devilbacker:" Redshirt junior Edmond Boateng vs. sophomore Kalen Ballage vs. redshirt freshman Ismael Murphy-Richardson

ASU's defense is reliant upon heavy pressures and blitz packages, and perhaps its most important position in doing so comes at the "Devilbacker" position. Boateng will likely slide over into that role this season, with Ballage getting some snaps on the defensive end on third-down situations. If Murphy-Richardson continues his momentum from the spring, expect him to throw his name into the mix as well. Another name that could pop in could be incoming freshman defensive lineman JoJo Wicker.

"Sam" linebacker: Redshirt junior linebacker Salamo Fiso vs. sophomore Christian Sam

This isn't exactly a case of Fiso, the returning starter, slipping, but a case of the emergence of Sam. Fiso is coming back after a solid sophomore season, but Sam is coming off of one of the best springs of any ASU football player. Both should see significant time next season.

2. Newcomers

The new recruiting classes will be in full swing, with a few notables.

- True freshmen quarterbacks Brady White and Bryce Perkins will be able to go head-to-head on the field for the first time, setting the stage for a heated three-way quarterback battle for the starting spot in 2016.

- Wicker, who I mentioned before, is already listed as the second-string lineman for the "Tiger" defensive line position. He may already be the best pure pass rusher along that defensive line, and could eventually see himself on the field in big moments this season.

- Chatman is already being compared to one of the greatest wide receivers in school history in Strong, and for good reason. The natural size and athleticism he brings to the field could make him an impact player in future years.

- Freshman offensive lineman Steven Miller, a Gilbert High School (Gilbert, Ariz.) product, is already listed as a second-string left guard. He may not see much, if any time this season, but should help anchor the ASU offensive line in future years. 

3. Managing the offseason expectations

It's been an unusually busy offseason for ASU football, from the off-the-field situations of Davon Durant and George Lea, early season national expectations or the unveiling of brand-new adidas football uniforms. The leadership of this team appears strong, but will anything carry over into fall camp and the regular season?

Follow for more ASU football updates as camp begins Wednesday.

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×