Handle-less segway brand Future X Boards gains momentum at ASU

Future X Board
Scottsdale Community College junior JT Holmes rides a Future X Board at Tempe Town Lake. Holmes is a representative of Future X Boards.

As the school year builds momentum, ASU students have been investing in the future: handle-less segways. 

Stavros Christias, business junior and co-founder of Future X Boards, said that the brand is dedicated to creating a certain lifestyle for those who ride the wheels.

PhunkeeDuck and IO Hawk are two other brands known for handle-less segways. The company's boards are typically twice as expensive and offer a limited variation of colors. Future X has made stylish wraps, or personalizations, for Holmes’ company Lavish Entertainment as well as bigger ones like Power 98.3 and Go Daddy.

“That’s what makes us different from other companies,” said Christias. “Our boards allow for you to customize it in whatever way you want it.”

The board can travel up to 15 miles for those that commute, Christias said.

“They can go up to 10 mph and are very maneuverable because they have a zero-degree turning radius," he said. "This is a huge benefit on a campus as crowded as Tempe’s, and when you get to class, they are light enough that you can just carry it in with you.” 

Christias said Future X has traveled across the world to find something new and innovative to deliver to its customers.

“Our long term vision is being able to change the world by changing the way of transportation for urban and suburban living,” he said.

Future X Boards has been in business for six months and hopes to continue improving the culture the company brings to customers. Plans are in the works to make upgrades within the next week to enhance some of the board's capabilities.

For six months, Future X has been able to partner with more than 80 representatives for the brand, said Leo Gaona, co-founder of Future X Boards.

“Our reps love being able to sell a product where they don’t feel like a salesperson having to need a sales pitch,” Gaona said. “Anyone can do it, and everybody loves them.”

J.T. Holmes, a Future X representative and a well-known event planner, is often seen riding his board throughout ASU’s Tempe campus.

“The board sells itself,” Holmes said. “When I’m not even trying to sell the board, I have my headphones in, people are tapping me on my shoulder asking what it is.”

Like many other trends, Holmes said all it takes is just that one person to have it that makes everyone else to want it.

“Most people see these things on Instagram and they associate with a celebrity like Wiz Khalifa, Chris Brown, Justin Bieber, etc.,” Holmes said. “Before they thought it was just a celebrity thing, but our company said we are going to figure out a way to get the average person a board at an affordable price. We’re the Gucci of these boards!”

After owning a board for two months, Holmes said he hasn’t had any mechanical problems. The company provides an insurance policy to fix any issues that might arise. Future X has helped Holmes brand himself as a person as well as an event planner.

“It’s also saved me from getting to class late a few times," he said.

Reach the reporter at jpmorri5@asu.edu or follow @jp_morris35

×