Tempe Police: Man gives officer blank stare while under the influence of marijuana during traffic stop

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

Tempe police reported the following incidents Wednesday:

A 19-year-old Phoenix man was arrested August 14 at North Scottsdale Road and Gilbert Drive on suspicion of being under the influence of drugs during a traffic stop, according to a police report. 

An officer stopped the man's vehicle for failing to display his lights, according to the report. The man refused to identify his name when the officer contacted him, police reported.

The man stated that he did not have an Arizona driver's license, according to the report. When the officer asked him if he had an Arizona identification card, the man continued looking at the officer with a blank stare, police reported.

The man said, "Please don't do this," but would not provide his name, police reported. The officer kept asking the man to place his hands on the steering wheel but the man continued to put his hand on the gear shift, according to the report. 

The officer asked the man to step out of the vehicle but the man put the car in drive and it began to move forward and the passenger of the vehicle put it in park, according to the report. The officer again asked the man to step out of the vehicle and he placed the car in drive again and it began to move forward, police reported. 

The man did this a total of three times until another officer assisted in getting the man out of the vehicle, according to the report. The man was immediately detained, police reported. 

The officer could smell the odor of marijuana coming from inside the vehicle, according to the report. The man's reaction time was delayed and his eyes were bloodshot and watery, police reported. Under Miranda Rights, the man admitted to being under the influence of marijuana, according to the report. 

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail. 

Tempe Police: Man breaks into boyfriend's apartment, steals Playstation

Tempe Police: Woman steals purse, drops cellphone while fleeing

Report compiled by Kelcie Grega.

Reach the news editor at kgrega@asu.edu or follow @kelciegrega on Twitter

×