​Ortega, Albertson lead the way for ASU cross country at Wisconsin Adidas Invitational

TheSun Devil women finished 24th, and the men finished 34th overall

ASU sophomore CJ Albertson and ASU freshman Jack Balder compete in the Men's 2000 Meter Steeplechase.  Schools from across the country gathered for the Baldy Castillo Invitational at the Sun Angels Stadium in Tempe, AZ. (Photo by Gretchen Burnton)
ASU sophomore CJ Albertson and ASU freshman Jack Balder compete in the Men's 2000 Meter Steeplechase. Schools from across the country gathered for the Baldy Castillo Invitational at the Sun Angels Stadium in Tempe, AZ. (Photo by Gretchen Burnton)

ASU cross country's Samantha Ortega and redshirt junior CJ Albertson both had strong finishes at the Wisconsin Adidas Invitational in Madison, Wisconsin on Friday.

Ortega, a freshman, led the way for the Sun Devil women, finishing in 41st place overall with a time of 20:26.6. Today marked Ortega’s first trip to Madison for the Wisconsin Invitational.

On the men’s side, Albertson was the first Sun Devil to cross the finish line at 24:16.2 in the 8-kilometer race which was good enough for 67th place. Last year at Wisconsin, Albertson came in at 137th overall with a recorded time of 24:56.

Senior Adriana Olivas was the next female Sun Devil across the finish line. Olivas clocked in at 20:49.1 in 82nd place overall. Chelsey Totten notched a time of 21:18.1.

Redshirt seniors Ryan Norton and Ryan Herson finished relatively close to each other with times of 24:45.5 and 24:52.1, respectively. Norton was the 153rd runner to cross the line while Herson was 166th.

Senior Cristina Juan Torres clocked in at 21:26.2 in 150th place overall. Juan Torres was followed by junior Jenna Maack at 21:40.6 and redshirt senior Jen Owen finishing at 22:06.1. Redshirt senior Shaina Corbin rounded out the Sun Devils with a finishing time of 22:10.2.

On the men’s side, junior Bernie Montoya was the next Sun Devil across the finish line after Herson. Montoya notched a time of 25:05.7. Freshman Ryan Normand was right behind Montoya, clocking in at 25:09.1. Rounding out the Sun Devils were redshirt senior Jeff Bickert and senior Riley Wattier. Bickert had a finishing time of 25:23.2 while Wattier notched a time of 26:31.5.

The Sun Devils return home to host the ASU invitational on Friday, Oct. 23 at the Papago Golf Course in Phoenix.

The women will run a 3-mile race while the men will run a 4-mile course. The invitational is scheduled to begin at 4:20 p.m.

Reach the reporter at michael.baron@asu.edu or follow @Michael_Baron96 on Twitter.

×