Helping keep off the freshman fifteen

Photo by Daniel Santa Cruz. 

Helping keep off the freshman fifteen

In an effort to assist students in healthy eating, Engrained Cafe at ASU is the working to help students avoid that pesky freshman fifteen. 

ASU’s healthy dining options seem to be a big hit with the faculty and students. 

“The mission of Engrained is to be a learning-living restaurant focused on locally grown food and environmentally responsible practices,” says Krista Hicks, sustainability manager for SunDevil Dining 

Engrained Cafe is passionate about its sustainability and desire to serve healthy, locally grown food. 

Engrained Cafe is part of ARAMARK’s Green Thread Program. “The green thread ties us to the earth and holds us to our sustainable beliefs,” Hicks says. 

Engrained’s team proves their passion for sustainability by relying on Six Green Intentions. 

Radius 150, the first Green Intention, focuses on using food resources within a 150 mile radius. 

“Our partnership with local farms and suppliers support the growth and availability of fresh whole foods-raised, grown and harvested sustainably,” Hicks says. 

Wall-To-Wall, the second Green Intention, provides healthy surroundings to the restaurant’s staff and hungry students, Engrained’s team says. 

Buy Smart, the third Green Intention, engages “in the positive, ethical buying of products and services, aiming to enrich local communities,” Hicks says. “We challenge ourselves to be responsible for our environmental effects and accountable for environmental impact.” 

Waste Not Want Not, the fourth Green Intention, promotes “waste reduction, recycling, composting and fryer oil recycling in our operations to help in sustaining our natural resources and divert waste from landfills,” Hicks says. 

Daily Commute, the fifth Green Intention, prioritizes the reduction in fuel use. 

“We look to new technologies and better alternatives for improving our operations,” Hicks says. “We cooperate with suppliers, vehicle manufacturers and other organizations to improve our efficiencies.” 

Around the Community, the sixth Green Intention, concentrates on having a positive impact on the community and around the world. 

Engrained demonstrates its positive impact through, “cooking demos, competitions, guest speakers, events, student tours and connecting with local farms,” Hicks says. 

The restaurant’s effort to maintain sustainability has not been their only success. 

“We get very good feedback,” Food Service Director Erin Hall says. “Students, faculty and staff are happy to have healthier options that are conveniently located on campus.” 

“We work with various departments on campus to help spread the word about Engrained- partnerships with the University has always been key,” Hall says. 

The staff at Engrained are always looking for new ways to be noticed by potential customers and work to meet the needs and expectations of customers. 

“Engrained is now open with extended hours for dinner,” Engrained staff member Krystal Nelson says. 

Keeping the customers happy and filled with healthy food important to Engrained. 

College students are not unfamiliar with unhealthy food at every corner, so a restaurant that prides itself in quality food is a plus for ASU students. 

Ever since the restaurants' opening in Fall of 2008, Engrained has impressed customers, served healthy options and maintained remarkable sustainability. 

“We don’t just talk and market sustainability,” Hicks says. “We develop environmental stewardship programs that promote a sustainable future in all of us.”

×