Sleigh bells are ringing, Santas are popping up in malls and upcoming finals are making students cry. Don't let the stress of college turn you into an Ebenezer Scrooge, just take a break from studying at these holiday events. 

Holiday Music Festival

Although several other shows and events are happening outside of campus, the Holiday Music Festival is a chance to check out the talent on campus. Throughout the fall semester, students have been working on perfecting their musical craft. Give them attention on Dec. 4 at 7:30 p.m. at Gammage to watch ASU choirs join the ASU Symphony Orchestra for a program of seasonal favorites. Songs on the setlist include "Te Deum" and Robert Shaw’s "Many Moods of Christmas," and the performance will feature performances from the ASU men's chorus, women's chorus, Barrett choir, concert choir and choral union.

United Food Bank service event

As a university, ASU has teamed up to volunteer with the United Food Bank. Just four hours of service are needed to make a difference. If you cannot make it on Dec. 5 from 8 a.m. to noon, then donations of canned food and bottled water are always helpful. All volunteering will take place at the United Food Bank's headquarters lobby in Mesa. 

9th Annual Christmas Sing-Along

Old Main is full of traditions within its walls. One of these is the ASU Carillon Society's 9th Annual Christmas Sing-Along from noon to 1 p.m. at the Symphonic Carillon, located on the lower level of Old Main. Students may sing in unison to the classics of the holiday season. Hot cider and Christmas cookies will be provided on Dec. 11.  

"A Christmas Story" at Gammage

Many adore the classic movie about a boy who wishes for one thing and one thing only — a Red Ryder BB gun. Ralphie's life, including his obstacles with things like a weird leg lamp and a triple-dog-dare to lick a freezing flagpole, is presented in "A Christmas Story" at Gammage. Produced by the film’s original actor that played Ralphie, Peter Billingsley, this musical is fun holiday entertainment that is pleasing to both young and old audiences. 

Phoenix Flea

On Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Phoenix Flea will be presenting vintage trinkets, interesting art, delicious food and new fashion at the Historic Heritage Square. Local artists come together to offer a day of shopping and getting to know your community for only a $5 entry fee. 

Bruce Munro: Sonoran Light at Desert Botanical Garden

Although the Desert Botanical Garden is a place to visit year round, from Nov. 22 to 25 you can experience the garden in a new light with the Bruce Munro: Sonoran Light exhibit. 30,000 individual spheres of light are nestled on the hillside of the Garden Butte and cascade down onto the nature loop trail. This place is lit, no pun intended, and will take place from 5 to 10 p.m.

CitySkate grand opening

Grab your skates, scarf and balance to check out CityScape's CitySkate grand opening. On Saturday, Phoenix's only outdoor skate rink will ring in a night of laughter, photos with Santa himself, 'live' snowfall, musical performances and tree lighting with Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton from 3 to 11 p.m., all for a student discount of $12. 

One week till the Grand Opening and Tree Lighting Ceremony! Check out the details here- http://on.fb.me/1HYsYcx

Posted by CityScape Phoenix on Saturday, November 21, 2015

Fantasy of Lights Opening Night Parade

Attendees Fantasy of Lights Opening Night Parade will outnumber the drunks on Mill Avenue this Saturday. This free event will mark its 23rd year as the most longstanding and cherished of holiday traditions in Tempe, starting at 6 p.m. The parade will feature 40 units, including floats, balloons, clowns, novelty units, marching bands and the arrival of Santa Claus. 

via GIPHY

ASU Holiday Salsa Bash

Get saucy on Dec. 5 at ASU's Salsa Bash at 781 East Terrace Rd. in Tempe. Make sure to grab your dancing shoes and mysterious mask to dance the night away with other Sun Devils. From 7 to 10 p.m. you can be someone else or just be yourself on the dance floor.   

via GIPHY

Holiday Pet Festival 

If you've been deprived this semester of some animal love, then the Holiday Pet Festival is for you. On Dec. 5, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at West World in Scottsdale, hundreds of pets will gather in one area in the cutest Christmas sweaters.  

The above events are the perfect environments to take that special someone out for a nice night on the town or attend with your squad. The choice is yours.  

Mark your calendars: here's a top-five list of Arizona holiday events

Ugly Sweater Run to bring holiday cheer to Tempe

Reach the reporter at rsantist@asu.edu or follow @ryanerica18 on Twitter.

×