ASU men’s basketball loses fourth in a row at Colorado

Gerry Blakes helped the Sun Devils overcome an early deficit, but Colorado pulled ahead late.

Guard Gerry Blakes (4) moves past the OSU defense on Wednesday, Jan. 28, 2015 at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe.

Following back-to-back losses in which the word “blowout” would be kind, the ASU men’s basketball team’s desperation has reached a new height. With three games left in the season entering Sunday’s battle in Boulder, ASU needed to find a spark.

The Sun Devils (14-15, 4-12 Pac-12) could not find one, however, losing to Colorado 79-69 on the Buffaloes’ Senior Night.

The Buffaloes got off to a quick start, taking a 14-point lead 10 minutes into the game and looking like they were poised to run ASU out of the building behind senior forward Josh Scott’s eight first half points.

ASU senior guard Gerry Blakes took it upon himself, however, to keep his team in it.

Blakes, who has recently been demoted to the bench, scored 15 points in the first half on 6-8 shooting, single-handedly carrying ASU to a three-point halftime deficit.

The Sun Devils kept the game within reach for most of the second half, but could only tie the game once. With 14:41 remaining, they tied the game at 45 before Colorado grabbed the lead again.

With Blakes cooled off out of the locker room, sophomore guard Tra Holder and senior forward Eric Jacobsen picked up the scoring, each pouring in 11 points in the second half to pace the visitors.

In a game of runs, the Buffaloes were able to outpace ASU with theirs, responding in turn each time their lead seemed to be in doubt, relying on Scott and redshirt sophomore guard George King to carry the scoring load.

For the final eight minutes of the game, the Sun Devils battled to decrease the Buffalo lead, but the home squad would not give up their lead on senior day and carried it until the end, advancing Colorado’s NCAA Tournament resume.

With the loss, the Sun Devils are under .500 for the first time since dropping their opening game of the season to Sacramento State. They have two games left to try to right themselves before the Pac-12 Tournament.

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

×