Laughter may be the best medicine, but sometimes it can be hard to get a prescription. While television channels like Comedy Central and streaming services like Netflix may give you stand-up comedy at your fingertips, a live performance cannot be beaten. Here are some of the closest places to ASU where Sun Devils can get their fix.

Stand Up Live

Stand Up Live is a comedy club that touts some of the biggest performers in the comedy world.

"We're the premier destination for comedy in the valley," club general manager Casey Currier said. "We have the best talent in the country."

The club has hosted performers like Hannibal Buress and Gabriel Iglesias. It is currently planning on bringing in big name comedians such as Tom Segura in late February and Dave Attell in March.

According to Currier, the goal of the club is to heighten the experience of comedy shows. Part of that elevation is taking steps to keep the club fresh, like changing the food and drink menu every six months.

Currier said he believes that comedy is best used for its therapeutic value.

"We live by 'laughter is the best medicine,'" Currier said. "We try to create an environment where everyone can come here and forget their problems and enjoy laughter."

Stand Up Live is located just one half mile south of ASU's downtown Phoenix campus at 50 W. Jefferson St.

Tempe Center for the Arts

The Tempe Center for the Arts has two options for students to participate in. One is a class where people can learn how to write and perform. The other is a chance to watch both prominent and local comedians who come to Tempe.

The TCA's stage attracts performers from all around the Valley as well as the U.S. Students in the TCA classes also have the opportunity to take the stage and show what they've learned during the course.

"Every five weeks we put on a showcase," said Tony Vicich, show and class founder. "But we put on a weekly show with comics from Los Angeles and other parts unknown."

These shows are the cheapest around the ASU campuses. Ticket prices can run as low as $8, something that Vicich said he prides himself on.

"We have the lowest ticket prices in the valley," Vicich said. "There's no drink minimums and there's no food minimums."

This low price does not mean that the comedians are of a lower value. Vicich said he has seen many of the students move on to the national stage.

"A lot of comics going on national television started out with us," he said. "You get to come to a quality environment and it wont break the bank."

The Tempe Center for the Arts is located at 700 W. Rio Salado Parkway, one mile north of ASU's Tempe campus.

Tempe Improv

Tempe Improv has been a Valley staple for about 35 years. The club's manager Chip Everett does not take that lightly. He said he prides himself on making sure that the club pays back the community that helped it thrive.

"We love being in Tempe," Everett said. "We try to give back locally."

One of the ways that Tempe Improv gives back is by supporting charities around the valley. He gives his staff the choice of which cause they want to support, and the club takes $1 from every food special sold and donates it to these charities. 

Another way that Tempe Improv gives back is through its support of local comedy. Everett said the club is in the business of supporting local comics. That support not only includes performances, but employment as well. His staff includes local comedians who regularly perform at the club's open mic night.

Also performing at the club are major names in comedy. Jerry Seinfeld, Jeff Ross, George Carlin and Artie Lange have all graced Tempe Improv's stage. A major draw to the club is this conglomeration of the local and national comedy scenes.

"Nobody provides what we provide," Everett said. "It's the best place to see comedy."

Tempe Improv is located at 930 E. University Drive bordering the northeast corner of the Tempe campus.

'America's Got Talent' finalist entertains at Phoenix club Stand Up Live

Jack of all clubs: ASU Comedy

Reach the reporter at jdarge@asu.edu or follow @jeffdarge on Twitter.

×