3 members of ASU men’s basketball’s senior class look to go out on top

The three eldest Sun Devils reflect on their time in Tempe.

Senior guard Gerry Blakes laughs during a portrait during the men's basketball team's media day on Tuesday, Sept. 29, 2015, at the Weatherup Center in Tempe.

As the ASU men’s basketball team’s season comes to its end, three more Sun Devil seniors will write their final chapter at Wells Fargo Arena this weekend. ASU will lose three starters this offseason, and the program will take a bigger step into the Bobby Hurley era. As with the 2015 group of seniors, this class features one four-year player and two mid-career transfers who etched their ways into key roles and the hearts of ASU fans.

Willie Atwood

The 6-foot-7 forward from Memphis came to ASU highly touted for his performance at Connors State because he was named third team All-American and Oklahoma Collegiate Athletic Conference and Region II Player of the Year his sophomore season.

Atwood struggled through that season, though, topping 10 points just twice all season and never finding his stride in inconsistent minutes at forward.

“Everything happens for a reason,” Atwood said. “I wish I had that first year back, but it was fun.”

As with many who don the maroon and gold, Atwood's favorite memory in Tempe came a season ago when ASU knocked off No. 6 Arizona, and the 942 Crew poured onto Ned Wulk Court.

“Beating U of A,” Atwood said. “Everybody rushed the court. I had never been a part of that before, I had only seen it on TV. I saw it when I was in junior college (in 2014), and I wanted to be a part of that, and we got the chance to do it.”

When coach Bobby Hurley took over following last season, he became enamored with Atwood, praising him to the media at every turn, reigniting the hype that died down during his underperforming junior campaign.

“Willie is a guy I’m very connected to,” Hurley said. “(I’m) very proud of how he conducted himself for the program, and how he worked and set a great example of leadership for younger players in the program and how to be competitive.”

Atwood was immediately thrust into the starting lineup to replace the departed Shaquielle McKissic and made an impact right away.

Now, Atwood is playing through severe pain in his right hand after injuring it on Feb. 12 against USC. He said he shouldn’t be playing but can’t finish his career watching from the sideline.

Hurley has been even more impressed with Atwood playing through the pain and doing all he can to end the year on a positive note.

“He’s done whatever Willie could do to help us win and that’s very unselfish of him, knowing that he’s limited with the wrist,” Hurley said. “Hopefully he continues to get better so that he can feel good about what he’s doing on the basketball court.”

With the end rapidly growing closer, Atwood reflected on how quickly the past two years have gone for him.

“It’s a rush," Atwood said. "There’s a lot going on. It ended quick. I was just here last summer starting as a junior. ... I’m going to miss it a lot, that’s all I’m going to say. Ain’t nothing like going to a university for two years, and in Tempe, they care a lot about their players here. It just was fun.”

Eric Jacobsen

The lone four-year Sun Devil in the class, Eric Jacobsen, has been through the ringer during his time in Tempe. From making an NCAA Tournament in his sophomore year to seeing his coach fired before his senior season, the trials and tribulations of college sports have shaped his college experience.

“I feel like every year we’ve had a different team,” Jacobsen said.

Jacobsen grew up in Chandler. Because he stayed close to home for school, his entire network of friends and family has been able to watch him compete in the Pac-12 for the last four years, which he has appreciated. He also enjoyed the ability to go home as he pleased.

“I have the support of a lot of people: my family, coaches from high school, people I grew up with and stuff like that," Jacobsen said. "It’s been a lot of fun. I’ve been able to go home on weekends and get dinner whenever I wanted, so that’s been nice, too.”

As a kid, Jacobsen attended ASU sporting events quite often as his grandparents are season ticket holders at both Sun Devil Stadium and Wells Fargo Arena.

“I grew up coming to just about every football game and a lot of the basketball games,” Jacobsen said. “We used to do the whole tailgate before the football games on the band field before the bubble was built.”

Since he grew up a Sun Devil, Jacobsen cherishes his two wins over Arizona more than any other win, especially the Valentine’s Day 2014 win when the Wildcats were ranked No. 2 in the country. However, he chose a different moment for his most memorable.

“Those were probably the two biggest games (I played in),” Jacobsen said. “Also going to the NCAA Tournament. That experience of flying out there, being around the environment, all that stuff was big. It was a lot of fun.”

Gerry Blakes

Blakes came to ASU in the shadows of other acquisitions, but quickly forged his own way and became a fan favorite. In non-conference play his junior season, Blakes put together back-to-back 20 point performances against Alabama and Colgate, cementing his reputation as a volume scorer.

After inconsistency as the third, fourth and sometimes fifth option during the season, Blakes broke out again when the Sun Devils played at Washington and Washington State in February. He scored a combined 47 points in two games, reminding fans of a fellow left-handed guard who got his numbered honored just days later.

Blakes continued building his legend over the summer by being named the Drew League’s Week 9 Player of the Week and competing against NBA players such as the Lakers’ Nick Young.

Then, tragedy struck close to home. Both Blakes’ mother, Bobetta, and his sister, Dawn, died of lupus within three months of each other, prompting him to dedicate this season in their honor.

“He was determined to have a great year,” Hurley said. “He’s given me everything that I could ask for as a coach, so I have a ton of respect for him and what he’s meant to Arizona State basketball.”

Now, as one of the definite go-to options for the Sun Devils, Blakes has been a key cog every step of the way for ASU, no matter the results. In a season like ASU's, it could be easy for players to get frustrated and give up, but to his credit, Blakes has played with the same drive and passion each night like he promised.

He’s currently in the best stretch of his career, scoring 10 or more points in eight of ASU’s past nine games, despite being moved to bench duty on the last road trip.

Looking back at his two seasons in Tempe, the normally jovial Blakes was reserved and contemplative.

“I’m just looking back on how time flies and just to get out there and give it my all for the last two games," he said.

A lot has changed in Gerry Blakes’ life since he came to Arizona last fall both for the good and for the bad, and he said it’s strange seeing this chapter end so quickly.

“It’s been a definite pivotal moment in my life,” Blakes said. “It’s changed me a lot. I got to see some experiences and do things I haven’t done. It’s been a very surreal moment.”

Blakes still doesn’t want to look ahead to the Senior Day ceremony, as he wants to cherish each moment he has left as a Sun Devil.

“I assume it'll be very emotional, but I haven’t gotten to that point yet,” Blakes said. “I just know that I’m just trying to stay in the moment. Time’s flying.”

ASU men’s basketball loses fourth in a row at Colorado

ASU men's basketball's blowout doesn't cost them in latest power rankings

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

×